What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes from Cambodia

Hi,

A friend sent me this picture for identification. According to my friend it was taken in Bokor National Park, Cambodia.

The pitcher is reddish in colour. The rosette pitcher and the leaf structure does NOt sugguest the plant to be the more common N. mirabilis. My guess, it is upper pitcher of N. thorelii. What do you think?

Nep_BokorNP2.jpg

Choong

I'd have to go with you. BTW is that a drosera species to the upperish right hand corner of the photo scrambling up the grasses? Also see another Nep pitcher near the lower right hand corner too.

I'm glad you pointed that out, Dustin. It was looking kind of like the 'smilesii' form of mirabilis, but that lower pitcher you spotted does look kind of like thorelii(as much as you can see, at least). I would not want to call it though.

Regards,

Joe

The leaf texture looks too heavy, and not the right shape for mirabilis. Also, the peristome is too rounded for mirabilis, which has a unique sort of flatness to it. I would go with thorelii or possibly anamensis. I have not seen enough plants of anamensis to say its not. The whole Cambodia-Elephant Mountains region is not very well studied. Even Danser mentions that fact in his 1926 monograph. Then there's Jebb and Cheek...and the doubt a lot of us have as to the taxonomy of anamensis, thorelii, kampotiana (supposedly not a different species from anamensis, but I have my reasons to believe they are different species), and possibly even geoffreyii (I hope I spelled this correctly), if it really exists. The state of taxonomy where these species are concerned is a bit sketchy imho.

Trent

Joe, Yes I was initally going to post N. mirabilis var. smilesii, but when I saw that pitcher I reconsidered. The only logical guess I'd have is N. tobiaca.

Not a N. tobiaca, I think it has some ventricosa in it.

The petiole is very suggestive of N. thorellii.

Nice pic! I saw a sample from that area in the Herbarium in Bangkok. It resembles the photo. What altitude was the photo taken? Several plants from Phu Kadung looked exactly like that with that type of leaf. Those plants were found at 1288m and it got cold at night. 1-5C. The seed I collected looked immature but it sprouted well. Even three years later it still sprouted! I hope it does for the fourth year.
Truly,
Tom

Hi Tom, that cold? 1-5C? Wow, a true Ultrahighlander. Another must have for the collection.
smile.gif

No idea about the Nep but it does look like a Drosera peltata growing with the plant. I didn't realise this species also occurred in Cambodia.

Sean.

Good observation Sean! I would have never caught that.

I probably wouldn't have picked it either if Nepenthes gracilis hadn't mentioned it at the beginning of the thread. The plant growing in front of the main pitcher can easily be identified as a form of D. peltata. The others are a bit hard to make out.

Sean.

I always find it very satisfying to see 2 different CP genus growing side by side. Nice ID Sean!
smile.gif

Wow. That really is a sundew, and you are probably right on the ID, as that is all that should be close. It is a very tall form though, isn't it(maybe this should be moved to the Drosera forum ,lol)?
I can't believe that it's that cold where the plants come from. Does this mean a possible un-named species, or is it a highland thorelii?

Regards,

Joe

Back