What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

small neps

Hi,what nepenthes grow small?As in how tall,wide.I would like some smaller ones,and need the names of the plants to look for them.Thanks for any information.

Jerry

Hey Jerry,
Here are some small Nepenthes.
N. Gracils
N. Glabrata
N. Belli
N. Xiphodies (sp)

my campanulata and aristolochioides have stayed pretty small so far.

N. adnata
N. tentaculata
N. argentii
N. mikei
N. ramispina
N. pectinata

N. xiphioides is a really small species. My adult or near to adult plant is not as tall as my hand! They are really pretty little gems, but often confused with N. gymnamphora.

Jan

N. villosa (if you can care for it)
N. lowii is relatively small for a short period of time. But eventually gets monsterous.
N. inermis is pretty tiny but vines as it ages.

Hi,

maybe it would be more helpful for Jerry when he could explain his growing conditions first. The plants mentioned above range from lowlanders to ultra-highlanders and due to this they won't florish in the same environment. Maybe a hint on difficulty of growing the species recommended would also be helpful.

As this question comes up every few months won't it be an idea to create a fixed topic with a short description of the various plants mentioned? (In pre-WWW-times the 'FAQs' were quite useful and popular.)

Cheers Joachim

Rock on, Joachim. I was going to say the same thing, but you beat me....by a day or so, lol.
A lot of the highlanders stay small, as was previously mentioned, but for lowlanders, I think the best may be N. adnata, IMHO. It seems to look nice in it's comapct size.

Regards,

Joe

Perhaps a pinned topic although I have my doubts that many folks would view it. Seems to me it's easier to post a message.. Searches would also yield a number of past threads on the topic but I suspect I am one of the few that uses that feature also LOL.

Yes cultural information is always helpful! I would hope that when not supplied the person asking for a list will do their homework as some of the plants listed are rare, expensive and difficult to find!

Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Feb. 13 2004,06:28)]Perhaps a pinned topic although I have my doubts that many folks would view it. Seems to me it's easier to post a message.. Searches would also yield a number of past threads on the topic but I suspect I am one of the few that uses that feature also LOL.

Yes cultural information is always helpful! I would hope that when not supplied the person asking for a list will do their homework as some of the plants listed are rare, expensive and difficult to find!

Tony
Hi Tony,

well I dont think a pinned topic would be overseen - at least the other members could give a hint where to look
smile.gif
I'd think a very short discription of the plants would be enough to start with. I.e.:

------------------
N. talangensis

Plant about 12cm in diameter, pitchers around 5cm in height.
Requires typical highland conditions with high humidity, won't grow well with night temperatures above 15 deg. C.

N_talangensis_130204.jpg

-------------------

More information would be useful, but would also be much more work to start with.

Cheers Joachim

Thanks for the information.Sorry I didn't tell you where the plants would be.Ok,I have a 4 tier growhouse,it sits indoors in front of an east facing window,which gets the morning sun light.The temps range from 60-80F.The reason I needed names of smaller nepenthes is so I can have plants that wont outgrow the space I have.I really want plants that wont grow bigger than 20"dia.I can keep them trimmed back.I also have some ten gallon fish tanks under grow lights and the temps stay from 70-85F,humidity 70%.I mist the plats in the 4 tier growhouse every day.

Jerry

Hi,

here are a few images of small growing and very nice Nepenthes:

Nepenthes aristolochioides:
20030329213352aa1_579.jpg

Nepenthes dubia:
sumatra2002talamau1034_579.jpg

Nepenthes tenuis:
tenuis_untere_kanne.jpg

Nepenthes mikei:
nmikei1_579.jpg

Bye