What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. clipeata x reinwardtiana

Here's a picture I took this morning of its newest pitcher.  The little hybrid seems to be doing well.  
smile.gif
  OK, its no big deal but since I'm pretty new to Nepenthes this is somewhat exciting.  Might as well ask a question while I'm posting to make this educational:  what parentage does this hybrid lean to more:  clipeata or reinwardtiana?

thanks,

Homer

ncxr.jpg

I couldn't tell you offhand what it resembles, but very cool, that's for sure.

Definetly leans towards more clipeata influence. Hybrids with N. clipeata generally show it's trait more, it seems to be the dominant parent in crosses.

Wow! From the way you described it before, it didn't sound very attractive. That looks _very_ nice!

Here are some pictures of the parents (in cultivation, not wild), if you'd like to compare:

N. clipeata
N. reinwardtiana

See ya,
Pat

That is pleasantly surprising. thanks for showing us.

Regards,

Joe

N. clipeata is pretty dominant although if you know what to look for you can see N. reinwardtiana features. N. reinwardtiana while a very attractive species does not have many unique features so it is easy for it to get 'lost' in hybrids.

One of the most noticeable is the wings. Young N. clipeata has frilled wings. N. reinwardtiana has wings with no teeth. I would expect as the plant gets more mature the wings will get progressively smaller and perhaps vanish alltogether.
Example of wings on N. reinwardtiana:
This is a lowland form which seems to have have wings while the highland forms don't.
NreinwardtianaBauMTCR.jpg

Tony

Tony,
I've always heard that the red reinwardtianas are highland, and the solid green are the true lowland. I've always thought it a little presumptious, but your plant in the picture is certainly red, at least in the upper part, and you noted it as a lowlander. What's your observation on this?

Trent

The one pictures is the lowland from Malesiana released from Bau. I have another lowland form from them (different area) that is green with fine purple speckles on the inside upper half of the pitcher.

The one pictures does have some red flushing but not nearly as much as the red highland forms which can be solid red/purplish. When I got them they were mostly green and under higher light and a little more size to the plants they are coloring up a little. From my understanding there are highland forms that don't get that solid red color so I guess the color range is broader than you typically see. I have heard of orange colored ones etc..

The one thing I can say is both lowland forms have those wings while none of the highland forms have any wings. Now if there are lowland forms that don't exhibit those wings or highland forms that do.. I cant say.

Tony

Back