What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nepenthes hurrelliana

Hi everybody,

Andy Hurrell being a very dear friend of mine, he has just told me Jebb and Cheeks have named a new species after Andy's last name. Actually, he discovered that species in Borneo a few years ago, but that's about all I know about that plant.

Does anybody have info on that new species ?

That would be great, also, to have pictures on the web!

Thanks already,

OL

Olivier,
Go to Borneo Exotics photo gallery and click on N. veitchii. The pic all the way on the right with the purple/yellow striped peristome is N. hurellii.

Regards,

Joe

Hi guys,

Joe that is quite similar to the very rare N. mollis. Does rob have that photo mis-labeled?

Joe,

I don't think that photo you referred to in Borneo Exotics is N. hurrelliana (or hurrelli). N. hurrelliana has been referred to widely as sp. B. You can viewed a picture of it at:

http://www.jeandewitte.de/murud2002/slides/n.%20spec%20B.html

There are more pictures of it in Charles Clarke's "Nepenthes of Borneo" and Hugo Steiner's "Borneo: It's Mountains and Lowlands with their pitcher plants"

Choong

I have pictures of this species taken by friends of mine who went hiking in the highlands of Sarawak several years ago. I have lost track of them (last we talked they lived in Atlanta), so cannot get their permission to "publish" the pictures. I had reccommended to them to visit Mulu and surrounds and they found the plant and gave me a set of prints. They sent me tons of photos of Neps in the wild, but I have hesitiated to show them without permission.
I'm not sure, but I always thought that N. sp B., N. mollis and N. Hurrelliana were the same thing. There is no real evidence that it is N. mollis as described by Danser in his book because pitchers were never a part of the herbarium specimen. Also, there has been some discussion as to whether or not this plant is a natural hybrid between N. fusca and N. veitchii, even though both parents are nowhere nearby. Even if it is a natural hybrid, it would seem to have stabilized enough to be given species status.
I know its a slow growing true highlander and you folks up north with grow chambers or cool greenhouses (Josh and Dustin) should do well with it. My friends said it was coolish even in the middle of the day where they found it in montane mossy forest.

Trent

Rob will have to back me up on this but quite a while back I believe he told me that particular pic was what was known as N. hurellii. The stuff Trent said makes sense as, except for slight variation in hues, the pitchers are quite similar.

Regards,

Joe

Hi,

I just spotted this thread.  

I think it's now actually N. hurrelliana now and not N. hurrellii.

The picture on the right in the photo gallery that you refer to Joe, was taken by me in 1986.  The location is Bkt. Pagon which is on the extreme Southern border of Brunei adjacent to Sarawak, altitude just under 2000m.  I was too green in those days to realise that what I had found was a new species so I just assumed it was N. veitchii.  I have a lot of other photos of plants from that area that are even more typical of N. hurrelliana.  I've shown some of them to Ch'ien Lee who believes tham to be N. hurrelliana and not N. veitchii.  So, alas it seems I stumbled across a new species many years before it was officially discovered and just didn't realise it!  My hard luck.  
sad.gif

BTW, sorry for the lack of updates on the BE website for a long time now.   We've been working for months on a completely new website involving an interactive database for ordering, and other new features, so we've rather ignored the old one.  Since we've been writing all the code in-house it's taking a while to debug everything!  Our systems administrator here is also nagging me to write lots of new stuff and take hundreds of new photos so he's keeping me busy and off the forums!  
biggrin.gif

Hi,

I'm looking for informations about N. hurrelliana and stumbeled across this thread. Does anyone know where the type descriptin of this species was published? And has anyone experience in cultivating this species?

Many thanks in advance.

Joachim

Back