What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cuttings

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
Hi all,
I am new to this forum. I am a Nepenthes grower but, I am wondering. As I was adding a new N. truncacta plant to my terrarium the lid dropped and took off the new pitcher tip. I just stuck it in the moss but, here a week later it's not dead so I looked closer and moved the moss a little and it looks as if the little leaf segment has root hair beginning. Is this likely or probably just some "matter" as I did not mess with it in case it is roots.

Joe

Howdy Joe, Welcome to Terraforums first off.
smile.gif

Now for your question, as for the pitcher bud that got snapped off, it will not root, it does not have the potential nor genetic capability or information to induce root formation. The only part of the Nepenthes plant that can do that is the stem or "trunk" in larger specimens.
wink.gif

Good growing!

Although I agree that it won't root, I have to disagree with the reason of lacking genetic information. Remember that all cells (generally speaking) contain a complete set of genetic log books. Otherwise we could not start a TC from the growth tip (hard, but possible).

Joe

Thanks guys!
I appreciate it. I am new to Nepenthes.

Back