What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mycorrhizal Fungi

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
Hi people,
Does anybody mess with the beneficial bacterias and rootcolonizers.(Mycorrhiza, microbes, etc...) I work with other plants somewhat similar to Neps(kindanotreally) and also use several beneficial elements like fungus, bacteria, lichens, mosses, algaes, blah, blah, blah. Do they work with Neps? Does anyone know? Like doing environmental recreations down to the bryophytes and microscopic life with daily interactions/symbiotic relationships do these exist with the Neps? Although I'm almost positive they do especially with the Highlanders, being cloudforrest and all.

What do you think?
Joe

Hi superimposed hope:

I do use trichoderma fungus which is a mychorrizhal type of microorganism for all my cp's Neps, cephs, droseras, pinguiculas and droseras

Gus

Does it cause a significant growth boost? And if so where are they available?

This particular fungus just protects the roots from nasty fungus and devours them. It just keep the plant healthy. there are several types of mychorriza, so the effects of these microorganisms on plant growth will depend on type and specific interactions between 2 or more types co-colonizing the roots or rhizomes.

Gus

Hi peoples,
Here's a comercial link to the place I buy mine from. http://www.fungi.com/mycogrow/index.html
It's a blend of like 11 (I think). Yes, it can and will make a world of difference in alot of plants. The way it works is it's a symbiotic relationship, the roots provide a place for the fungus to colonize and survive. The other side is that the fungus breaks down the nutrient and salts and makes them readily available to the roots. The rhizome can multiply 10-20 times with help of mycorrhiza. It is never destructive it's just that the treatments can be expensive and if the plant does'nt care one way or the other then your wasting resources and money.

Joe

Howdy, I wonder if this treatment would be suitable and perhaps helpful my to C. acaule plants...supposedly it does badly without Mycorrihza fungi present near the roots.

I dont know about that particular plant, but I do know that there are numerous plants that unbeknown to the buyer will die or perform poorly because it relies on the help it receives from the symbio thing. What you Gracilis ask just may be true. I have long term knowledge for instance of a Ficus spiralina that yes it grows well normally but grows Spectacularly with the Myco. All epiphytes rely on these relationships (Orchids, Xmascactus,etc..)

Joe

There is also a brand called Pirrahna(?spelling?) that is marvellous but very expensive as well as a microbe (bacteria) treatment called VooDoo Juice, expensive as well. Targeted to Pot growers, it's usually only found in hydro and related shops.

Joe

does using this stuff really make that much of a difference? say, for instance, that i was going to buy some from the web page superimposedhope listed, which would i buy (for my cp's)?

interested...
technoracer

I personally use the dry spore in 1oz packets that I add a tiny pinch 1 time monthly to water. It does take about 2 months to see results but the plants will begin to handle stress and indoor life much easier. I HAVE NEVER USED IT ON ANY CP's. I originally posted because it does work well on other plants but Neps for instance dont use roots for much intake anyways. So, I wonder if it can benefit a root system that doesnt take in nutrient and if it did; would it hinder pitchering ability if it could take in nutrient?

Joe

a while back, there was a thread about root feeding neps. i have tried it, as have several other people, and the results are quite positive. in my experience, the nep (n. ventricosa) showed no ill effects from the root feeding, and continued producing larger and larger pitchers...

i tried to find the thread... couldn't locate it... i believe that it was started by rob cantley. anyone else have better luck?

techno...

nope. the one i'm thinking of went into semi-detail about root feeding with miracid. remember that one, nep g? i keep searching for it, but no luck...

techno...

No i don't. Personally, I hate all miracle grow products. They are too concentrated even when diluted for most plants I belive. I prefer Osmocote 500% over miracle grow/acid.

AND WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

i found the link. if i would have gotten up and simply looked at what kind of fert i have, i would have realised that it osmocote, not miracid...  thanks, nep g.

check out the link, and enjoy!

click!

peace,
technoracer

Ok, since I already have the myco, I'll try it and I'll reply back with anything I figure out. I have never known it to hurt just some don't care. I wonder if the pinkies did fall prey???

Joe

Miracid is considered a no-no for neps(the plants, not Dr. Jeff Shafer
laugh.gif
). It supposedly works well for some other cp like Sarracenia and temperate pings, but not Mexican pings. Some have used miracle grow and other store brand equivalents, in various dilutions up to full strength, with good success. I would not recommend it since I have not tried it. I think most of the people who have done this had serious watering going on with the plants, so the compost stayed flushed out.

Regards,

Joe

Back