What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Algaecide

Helooo...

I would love to hear what you all use to control algae in your tanks. I'm having a bit of a problem with the wee green pests. Nothing serious as of yet, but I would rather not let it get to that point.
I am looking for something obviously CP safe, but also specifically shown to be non-harmful to Neps and maybe some of the Pings that I have in the tank (frankly I am not worried about the rest of the plants, they'll be okay).

California Carnivores sells something called "Physan" which is advertised to kill just about everything. However I can not find Physan in any local stores. Is there a CP friendly Algae killer that may be found at a garden center or Home Depot or Franks or some place like that?

Now that I'm on the subject, what steps would you all recommend that I take to prevent future algae problems?
Thanks
-Trevor

I gave up on this battle and have learned to co-exist with algae quite nicely now.  Somehow, someway or another it will always appear and so really the only thing you can do take precautionary measures by washing all your potting material (i.e. LFS, Peat, Perlite, Sand, etc.) before use and picking away at it when they show up.  From my experience, algae hasn't been a problem for my D.binata, P.ehlersiae, Darlingtonia, and D.burmannii.

I have found out that increased levels of oxygen does promote it's growth as my germinating pot of U.bisquamata recently started to turn a bit green since I introduced an air pump in my terrarium.

Hope this helps...

Here's how you stop algae growth: turn off your lights, paint your tank black and get rid of any humidity and water.
rock.gif
Not really though cause at that point you just got rid of your plants life as well. Sorry to be a dumby for a minute. Actually they have chemicals at aquarium stores sold for salt water algae, it kinda works. You might be better off to talk to Rampuppy(?) or one of the aq forum people. They know there $h!t about algae. My theory is that if its safe for saltwater fish and organisms then it certainly should be ok for Neps. Saltwater "things" are pretty touchy. I just coexist with the stuff.

Joe

Could you give us a more detailed description of your setup? You may be able to buy a plecostomus catfish, which naturally eats algae. I, personally, would avoid chemical treatment, if possible.

I have a 48x15x16tall arcylic grow chamber. Four 48" shoplights, the temp is usually 75degrees F with a humidity of 80%.
I only have about two inches of standing water in the bottom, so I doubt a plecostamus will work in this case. That's kindof a neat idea, tho
smile.gif

Back