What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where do you grow your neps at ? terraium, windowsill under lights.the reason i question it is that my neps dont like producing any pitchers just leaves with tendrils that dont develop. I recently put my ventricosa in a 10 gallon terrarium and it started produceing pitchers.nt fit considering that it is filled with drosera . Especially my nepenthes sanguinea which is huge just no pitchers. these are my nepenthes

sanguinea- 12 inch leaf span aprox 18 inches tall]
truncata- small 3 inch leaf span only 3 inches tall
ventricosa - in a terrararium and pitchering
alata- 4 inch leaf span
khasiana x mirabilis - 8 inch leaf span

One of my neps is in a terrarium with compact flourescents. My lowland ones (bical, ampullaria) are in this big plastic crate which has everything but a drosophyllum and a ceph in it (heliamphora, byblis, drosera, pings, genlisea, I guess no sarrs or vfts, but it has almost everything). They do ok in there and pitcher. In fact, my amp opened a new pitcher today!
smile.gif
 The plastic thing also has compact flourescents.
MY NEPENTHES BICALCARATA WON'T GROW SO I'M GOING TO TRANSPLANT IT- MAYBE THEN IT'LL TURN INTO A MONSTER.
wow.gif

yeah bicals are awesome would want to get one of those ,as soon as i find a place to grow the ones i have where they pitcher.

my one n. alata is hating me right now, it doesn't fit in any of my terrariums, thus it sits in the rather dry tv room. In the summer, they all go outside. I have a n. ventricosa, n. alata, n. alata spotted form, and a n. sanguinea. All but the alata are in the terrarium, producing some rather large pitchers, upwards of 6" on most. They go outside in the summer, where the biggest alata produces some monster pitchers. They seem to love the humidity and temp here in n. va, lowland, and highland alike.

I grow my neps in a 4 tier mini growhouse,it is in front of a east facing window and all my neps are growing good.

Jerry

I grow my hylanders in an outdoor terarium under flourescent lights and lowlanders in my indoor terrarium under 4 flourescent light bulbs .

In a terrarium under 4 fluorescent bulbs. All are pitchering:
Nepenthes ampullaria
Nepenthes bicalcarata "orange" - this one I took to a talk, and the next day 3 of the leaves turned black, but it's recovering!
Nepenthes "Judith Finn"
Nepenthes northiana x veitchi
Nepenthes rafflesiana
Nepenthes viellardi
Nepenthes burbidgea x edwardsiana
Nepenthes (clipeata x ventricosa) x (clipeata x ventricosa)
Nepenthes khasiana x ventricosa
Nepenthes macfarlanei
Nepenthes (spathulata x spectabilis) x (maxima x fusca)
Nepenthes ventricosa

Outside a terrarium, currently under fluorescent lights:
Nepenthes truncata - it's new, no pitchers yet
Nepenthes khasiana x ventricosa - pitchering, but slower growing than the one in the terrarium (this one's in the Panther Chameleon Cage)
Nepenthes (spathulata x spectabilis) x (maxima x fusca) - pitchering but not as lush and not as fast growing as the one in the terrarium. The terrarium one has a wider, redder, juicier looking peristome.

In an acrylic cube (under shoplights). I pop the cubes in a dorm fridge at night:
Nepenthes villosa
Nepenthes macrophylla

WildBill

here you go:

MyNEPTank_Left.jpg

The Nep in the middle back corner has already outgrown the tank.  It has only been in their for three months!  You'll find that Nepenthes grow space can be difficult to adequately supply without creativity.  
biggrin.gif

Here's the other side of SAME tank:
MyNEPTank_right.jpg

That poor Nep in the back corner on this side experienced quite a burn when I introduced it to this tank, unfortunately.

Nice terrarium !!!!!!! I will find a place to grow mine .The thing is that when i put them outside in the summer here they do great they pitcher and grow really fast all of them . But unfortunately a month after coming in they lose all there pitchers.

I grow my smaller Nepenthes under my bed with 2 flourescent lights. I'm doing this till it starts to get warmer and the humidity rises.

I only have 2 neps. I had the 1 growing outside during the summer, the second I got I tried growing inside the house. I might leave them both inside all year long. I grow them in a south facing sliding glass door. Once they adjusted to the inside conditions the grow and pitcher nicely.

carnivorkid,
Do you adjust your plants when you bring them inside? I would bring mine in at night when it would get to cold, and place them back outside in the morning if the temperature got hot enough. I would do this till the temperature did not get above 60 during the day. So the plants might have had a month or so of in and out. That way they are getting adjusted to the indoor environment. My plant did not lose any pitchers, but it did take a while before it started to grow new ones.

I grow my small lowlander Nepenthes in a 75 gallon aquarium with 240 W of lighting (6x 40 watt fluorescents). The large lowlanders and intremediates go into a large grow chamber I made out of a fiberglass tub/shower stall which has a sliding glass door on the front, plexiglass ontop with a 400W metal halide lighting it.

The cool growing highlanders live in another showerstall sized chamber on the otherside of the house in the coolest room. This chamber I built myself from 2"x2" lumber and fiberglass tub surround wall panels (waterproof) and a storm window (for access). It uses 300W of power compact lighting, a continuous flow of fresh air and humidifier fog into the chamber (fog is controlled by a humidistat so it doesn't get too wet). At night the fan is set in the window to take the cool air from outside and blow it into the chamber. In summer the fan is set in front of an air conditioner to get the cool nights.

As far as acclimating plants goes, it takes about 3-6 months for a Nepenthes to settle in every time it get's moved to a new location so my suggestion would be to get a stable environment together and leave it there until it is too large for that area. That's why I use "large" grow chambers so the plants don't have to get moved around. They will pitcher easier and grow as fast as they can if they are in good stable growing conditions and fed with insects.

good luck!

Swords, I still am thoroughly jeolous of your growing chamber. Whenever i think if Indoor Nep tanks I think of yours and wonder when my wife will let me build one.
biggrin.gif

I grow mine under my bed also i have a bunk bed with no bottom and i grow a bunch of plants under there and i have a bunch of florescense lights. A 75 gallon growing chamer would be awesome they would grow so well and could grow so many:D

I have two small neps in a mini greenhouse and one larger one I bought at a garden center yesterday. It's a beautiful n. alata with 5" pitchers. The big nep is in a hanging basket suspended near a window off the wall. I'm misting it fequently so it gets acclimated to my home conditions easier. I hope it does well.
smile.gif

yeah i mist mine frequently also but dont seem to see any better results of humidity.

I have 4 N. ventricosa that I grow in a south facing bay window along with my other CPs. This summer I'm going to see if I can move them outside.

smile.gif

BCK

This sounds just too familiar.
biggrin.gif
It was only a few weeks ago when I moved my plants to the windowsill where they get blasted with sunlight over ten hours a day. Only then they started pitchering like mad, even the tiny offshoots are already sending out tiny pitchers.
biggrin.gif
The nep.gracilis in my terrarium (given to me by Cindy), also produced four pitchers almost "immediately" after I put them in my terrarium with 72 watts lighting. Before all my neps were growing small, thin and narrow leaves with long tendrils, no doubt, but then the tendrils don't form into baby pitchers. So I had a forest of pitchers, each with about twenty pitcherless leaves. Then I decided to attach a white ledge to my window sill, and in about a week, one atala produced a two inch deep red pitcher. (so cute!)
biggrin.gif

Glad to have someone to share my problem, so that I know I'm not alone in this world of growing where something always seems to go wrong...(no need to get all philosophical now)
tounge.gif

(actually its a good thing its not just me otherwise I would be considerably worried
wink.gif
)

Phew!

Jason

I'll see whether I can get a picture...
BTW, thats a good lookin terrarium you got there Odysseus!
smile.gif

Is that aluminium round the sides?

Jason

Back