What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ampullaira: is a natural setting possible?

Hey swords, is there a difference in the amount of light used if it's natural light? I ask because a possible location for the tank is in a corner of a room in the house that is in front of and next to two windows: one faces south, the other west. It gets direct sun at various times throughout the day, blocked in mid-afternoon by a large pine tree. The problem is that it's an old house and the closest outlet is across the room, so I would be depending on natural light as the sole source.

Would this be suitable for growing amps? My assumption is that since the PAR and intensity of natural light blows artificial light out of the water, than various amounts of it throughout the day would provide it with plenty of photosynthetic energy, but preferring shade in the wild, wouldn't be too much. However, you guys are the ones with the experience, so I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

Well, how many hours of sun would it get? Add all the times together. My N. ventrata does much better with 4 hrs evening sunlight and 1 hr of morning sunlight than it did under 14 hrs artificial light.

SF

Real sunlight is always best I've heard but unfortunately I'm an apartment dweller so I haven't been able to grow Neps in terrariums in windows (either small windows or facing bad /shady directions). There are a few here who have terrariums in windows, I know Joachim from Germany does and his plants do great but he does still have an additional 2x 70 watt metal halides for extra day length.

Back