What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting after purchase

It seems like every garden center I visit (except Home Depot, in MN) has a few Nepenthes hanging around here-and-there. Once in a while I will see one that stands out and I buy it.
One thing that I wonder is what to do with the potting media? Usually it is not really the greatest stuff in the world -certainly not what I would use.

However, is it really worth repotting? What do you think?
I believe, to a certain extent, that if the plant was growing healthy and happy in its pot at the garden center, that the soil must not be too awful bad. "but still"
Should the repotting be done as soon as possible -ie, right after return from the store?
Sometimes I figure "might as well get it all done at once." The plant is already freaking out because it has been transported out of it's home into a new environment. Repotting may not do too much more harm (no the other hand, it may make the shock twice as intense).

Hmmmmm
rock.gif

-Trev

This is really a judgment call that only you can make.

I think it depends on a number of factors:
1. Some plants can deal with environment change better than others naturally.
2. The environment the plant is coming from vs the environment it is going to.  
3. The current condition of the plant and soil
4. The relative difference in the plants current soil vs what you normally use and have experience with in your particular situation.

If I had to make a general statement I would probably lean towards.. Yes repot to something your familiar with but wait until the plant is acclimated.  Roots are invariably damaged by repotting (some will get damaged just from carting the plant in the car).  This will make acclimation longer and more difficult unless the plant is going into the 'perfect' environment and stress is near zero. But also be aware the plant may require extra care with watering until it is potted into your own mix.

In the off chance that the current potting mix is so bad and the plant is going down the drain rapidly then repot asap!  Of course if this is the case then the plant probably didn't look good at the nursery anyway and you realized at the time it was a salvage/rescue situation that would require special treatment.
Tony

The soil that I am referring to (the soil in which the plants were originally potted) looks to be purely peat moss. This media is what I almost always see Nepenthes potted in -it seems to be a "Dutch thing", as that is the origination of the plants in question.

I would transplant them right away into your preferred mix.  

I might add that this has worked for me with Nepenthes in the past.

happy growing

-Homer

I'm not sure if its the best thing to do. But every plant I've bought I always repot with my prefered mix, which is usually pretty close to what it was already in. But I like them to have "fresh" soil anyways...plus I have a wierd tick where I like to see all my plants in relatively the same soil....

Back