What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Nepenthes Miranda

Hi, the other day I went to Lowes to return My N. Coccinea, for a new one. When I got there, they only had HUGE N. Mirandas, I got the biggest one there, I saw the biggest pitcher was full of water, on the way home I bought a goldfish in it, And that fish has helped it alot, was this a wise choice?

A live one?.... That's kind of weird and creul at the same time... I've heard that some people have feed their plants dead fish with great sucess, and some doing the same with horrible effects. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

a live goldfish may live in there for days without dying.... it would feed off dead insects in the water, i doubt the goldfish will even die
cool.gif
next time, kill the goldfish my smacking its head, that way it doesn't have to stay crammed in the pitcher so long. also, the waste from the goldfish can hurt the plant, so be careful if you put live ones in!

Peter, its not really cruel, the goldfish could probably live in a large nepentehs pitcher with no problems at all. i feed snakes live goldfish, the snake would swallow it whole and 10 mintues later it would still be alive and wriggling in its body... its just nature. but i agree, before putting a goldfish in a nep pitcher next time, humanely kill it first
smile.gif

True, goldfish can live in bowls, but a miranda pitcher does not have the cubic space that a bowl has. I suspect it will not live long. If it did, the pitcher would benefit from the waste and maybe a little from food sprinkled in the pitcher for the fish.
Bettas are the true artist of the tiny water environment.

Regards,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I saw the biggest pitcher was full of water, on the way home I bought a goldfish in it, And that fish has helped it alot, was this a wise choice?

What the...
:sigh:
Feeding goldfish to a Nepenthes is a bad idea on so many different levels. With the money you spent on the goldfish you could have purchased crickets or even fish food. Both of those would feed your Nepenthes far more efficiently and effectively than a freakin' goldfish.
rock.gif

Feeding goldfish to a snake, on the other hand, makes a little more sense because those animals are a little more equipped to handle such a meal.  

Anyway, I really doubt that anyone would be able to transpot a Nepenthes miranda from a store, in a car or wherever and into your house, and in the process keep the pitcher full of enough water to keep a goldfish alive. Even IF you didn't spill any, there is no way Lowes is humid enough for a Nepenthes to keep so much water in a pitcher. The pitcher must have been refilled with water when you got it situated.
That means that the fluid in the pitcher is so dilute that it has little chance of doing more than killing the goldfish slowly and digesting tiny fragments of the body. As Griffin said, the plant would most likely benefit more from the waste of the goldfish in the shot time that it was alive.
I'm sure that the dead goldfish would have rotted before the pitcher had enough time to secrete enough digestive fluid to take a serious bite out of the fish.

rock.gif

Next time, if there is a next time, just stick the fish in a blender (AFTER you humanely kill it by blugeoning) and use the fluid to feed your plant.
I can't believe that I am even writing about this.  
smile.gif

-T

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nepenthe @ Mar. 14 2004,14:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I saw the biggest pitcher was full of water, on the way home I bought a goldfish in it, And that fish has helped it alot, was this a wise choice?

What the...
:sigh:
Feeding goldfish to a Nepenthes is a bad idea on so many different levels. With the money you spent on the goldfish you could have purchased crickets or even fish food. Both of those would feed your Nepenthes far more efficiently and effectively than a freakin' goldfish.
rock.gif

Feeding goldfish to a snake, on the other hand, makes a little more sense because those animals are a little more equipped to handle such a meal.  

Anyway, I really doubt that anyone would be able to transpot a Nepenthes miranda from a store, in a car or wherever and into your house, and in the process keep the pitcher full of enough water to keep a goldfish alive. Even IF you didn't spill any, there is no way Lowes is humid enough for a Nepenthes to keep so much water in a pitcher. The pitcher must have been refilled with water when you got it situated.
That means that the fluid in the pitcher is so dilute that it has little chance of doing more than killing the goldfish slowly and digesting tiny fragments of the body. As Griffin said, the plant would most likely benefit more from the waste of the goldfish in the shot time that it was alive.
I'm sure that the dead goldfish would have rotted before the pitcher had enough time to secrete enough digestive fluid to take a serious bite out of the fish.

rock.gif

Next time, if there is a next time, just stick the fish in a blender (AFTER you humanely kill it by blugeoning) and use the fluid to feed your plant.
I can't believe that I am even writing about this.  
smile.gif

-T
so you're the "T" they're talking about in general discussion!
wink.gif
wow.gif
tounge.gif

Every thanksgiving i feed my nepenthes ground up boiled turkey heart. they love it!
smile.gif

Stick to what these plant are SUPPOSED to catch. Insects and very very small mammals on a rare occasion.

snips'n snails'n puppy dog tails.

lol...
I could see this discussion turning into a demented version of the Monty Python "what also floats in water" discussion.
Hm... Maybe the "Nepenthes feeding: what and how often?" thread is a more likely candidate.

What are the optimal growth conditions for these plants( Miranda)? I should be getting the one I ordered from Phil today. I've been succesfully growing Dionaea, Drosera, Darlingtonia Californica, and sarrs for quite some time but was never really interested in the neps, until now! Any, or all advice is greatly appreciated.

N. x Miranda should do fine for you. It's VERY large and showy when its in full pitcher. Keep factors to help you grow it are, moist soil, high humidity, good lighting and temp range of about 55F-90F.

Back