What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sure,
smile.gif

Plant is 3 inches tall WITH the flower stalk, without it's 1.5"
Tendrils range form 7 to 8" long and wirey.
Leafes are 3" each so the plant is around 6" in diameter.
Pitcher is 4" tall (newest) ones coming up may be larger.

A six inch diameter flowering plant?!
wow.gif
WOW! I really LOVE N. mira, but I had heard some people say that the "mature" pitchers come very late, others have experiances more like yours... I am curious how long it took to grow to that size from the size that you got it? Also, how long did mature pitchers take to show up? WONDERFUL PLANT!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
cool.gif

Hi L-man,

Well, it appears to be a neat thing about N. mira that it flowers young. Before I even got a specimen I noticed when I went to Tony's a few times that most of his N mira were tiny little buggers but growing strong and flowering! Some were 4 inches across and flowering. Must just be something wierd this species does, I can't explain it, but I do know the gender, its a girl!
smile.gif

As for large mature pitchers, sure it takes time for any plant from a small size to grow large and really shows its "true colors". I bought mine around 4 or 5 inches in diameter and now its around six, so I need to give Tony credit for getting it to 4-5 inches and I can take credit for the 1 inch it has grown since I bought it. Of course I dunno how big they were when he recieved them from Andreas, perhaps they were 2 inches across, he grew them to 5 and then I grew it to six. But anyways, I don't think it takes super long to see N. mira pitcher size get big, I've watched a plant of Tonys for a few years now, and it already has like 6 inch tall 4 inch across pitchers on it.

N. mira is fairly fast. It is tempermental about environment changes as it does not respond well to humidity drops. ie big wide thin leaves that lose moisture quickly!
One of it's oddities is that small plants will send up a small flower or two .. Nothing like it should when it is fully grown but still interesting. It does make large pitchers for the size of the plant when grown properly. It is also no slouch and can get fairly large, but if you have the room the display is great.

Tony

Well, that's nice to know! How big is really big? My judith finn is my biggest right now, leaves are around 8-9 inches a piece. Does mira get that big very quickly? I really, really love this plant!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
cool.gif

N. mira grows like any other highlander, its growth is quite similar to N. rajah actually.

Your greenhouse looks very impressive, you're soooo fortunate to have the money and space to have one. I'm particularly impressed with your N. aristolochioides, it's beautiful and unique. Thanks for sahring the pics

Back