What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

you guys see this? its crazy!

I was looking around the internet and stuff and came aross this oddity! its crazy anyone have one of these? Nepenthes inermis model kit I think its pretty cool, they should start making diffent species though

Swords has some good ideas once in a while, doesn't he?
wink.gif

SF

Unless you're a cp'er, who would know what this pitcher sticking out of nowhere is?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (larry @ Mar. 19 2004,05:45)]Unless you're a cp'er, who would know what this pitcher sticking out of nowhere is?
rock.gif
HAHAHA so true I was thinking the same thing...

I think a Bical model would be sweet with the fangs and all...

I was thinking of getting it but then I thought, I would be the only one that knows what it is! people might just think I have a strange little cup sitting on my desk...

HEY now theres an idea! blown gglass pitchers that you can use as wine glasses or something!

Uh oh someone found it!
smile.gif

This is simply the first of 5 Nepenthes I'm sculpting currently for display on my bookshelf. I choose the smallest to start production with of the 5 (N. clipeata, edwardsiana, inermis, lowii & rajah) as a market test. If reaction/interest is good enough then I shall tackle producing the larger more exaggerated species which will cost much more to produce the various molds for.

Yup, Larry these are certainly for a very limited market!
biggrin.gif

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS!!?!?!?!?

not only do I have to collect the living plants now I'm going to want to collect all the model pitchers!!!

your evil plan is working so far grrrr
smile.gif
sad.gif
mad.gif
lol

plane? plane? i dont see any planes
tounge.gif

swords,
these aren't going to cost as much as the real plant is it? if so you may as well do a whole plant sculpture, then newbies can buy them and have something to look at instead of a newbie buying a real one and watching it wrinkle up and die
laugh.gif

Spec this models are most likely going to cost just as much if not moe then a real plant. Do you relize the work and time that goes into desiging a model? Its alot of work, thats why he siad he started off with a less elaborate pitcher to see if there was an interest in them. If the is then he will spend the time making a more complex pitcher....

Blown glass nep shot glass, I would buy that!
biggrin.gif

ahh hells yea like a nice little set of Nepenthes ampullaria shot glasses!!! that pitcher shap would make pefect shot glasses!!!
blues.gif

I don't know if I should discuss this but no the kit doesn't cost as much as a real N. inermis (at least, not as much as I paid for mine). The possible larger production pieces will cost more than this one due to their far size and extra appendages which all must be molded as seperate pieces.

Yes, Flip side is right, it would cost much more than a real plant to produce an entire vine of 4-6 pitchers in various stages of growth and decay, 8-10 leaves and the stalk in life size 1:1 scale due to the amount of molds which would need to be created.

A fake "full plant" could be created by the kit builder with a trip to the craft store for wire filled green plastic vine of a couple different diameters and wire filled lanceolate silk leaves. Or better yet, wire filled latex phalenopsis orchid leaves which are more expensive but are rubbery and can be cut into almost any Nepenthes leaf shape.

.... this is an indication of the perils of living with a woman who fills the house with silk plants I guess!

You can do whatever you would want with it after you assemble and paint it. It comes with a "floating" wire stand and base so they don't need to be put in a diorama but are free standing.
I personally will be using the pitchers as a decoration in a jungle diorama that I've made ontop my natural history bookshelf with a base of moss covered foam, branches of cork bark and twigs from outside with tropical silk/plastic plants/ferns/philodendrons scavanged from my GF's baskets and a few I bought special for the project. Kind of like a mini-museum exhibit of tropical pitcher plant trap types, cos I'm just a "nepenthes worshipper" as one person said
wink.gif
I just never tire of looking at Nepenthes!

swords, what you're building sounds fantastic! You are definitly going to have post a picture of that when you're finished. Do you plan on construct a whole plant in the same method you had suggested? When its done I'm sure it will be a work of art....

They are NOT food grade plastic so it's not a good idea to drink out of them, I don't want you poisoning yourself! This is Special FX prop makers plastic; SC 320 fast set Urethane resin cast into a platinum silicone mold. Nothing on the MDSS (safety documentation) of either product mentions using them to create food or drink recepticles.  If you're thinking of drinking shots (alchohol) out of them that may excacerbate the problem of them not being food grade and immediately release weird chemicals into whatever it is you're drinking.

Please don't put them in your mouth!
biggrin.gif

If there is interest I will do articles for the website on creating dioramas and also the making a whole Nepenthes plant. Also I would like to have a gallery showing what others do with their kits or how they've painted theirs since each person paints differently and using different materials/methods.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If there is interest I will do articles for the website on creating dioramas and also the making a whole Nepenthes plant. Also I would like to have a gallery showing what others do with their kits or how they've painted theirs since each person paints differently and using different materials/methods.

that sounds like a great idea, if people start buying them I'd love to see how they've painted it. Or even strange, wierd and crazy ideas they've applied to it.

I saw that you have one on ebay. Will that be the only one you sell on ebay? Are you selling it on ebay to get an idea what it is worth then pricing according to how much it sold?

oh BTW for those that have not seen the auction....

Nepenthes inermis Carnivorous Plant Resin Model Kit

The final price from me is set on the second Ebay listing-the one with the Buy It Now feature (plus shipping of course). I've got a few samples of the Nep kits on their way to independent distributors who've expressed interest in carrying them but what they end up charging for the ones they get from me is up to them. I don't know how many will be listed on Ebay, there's 250 numbered kits total made officially available to the public and there are 10 unnumbered press/review kits sent to certain magazines and distributors. There will be a limited number of finished kits (assembled and painted) labeled with a brass nameplate and donated to certain noteworthy botanical universities in the US and abroad for their study rooms.

That is very cool! Neat to see cp murchandise.Lol.

I saw these online a couple of days ago. I did order one. The fun part will be to see if I can get the color right.

Back