What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

guess what this is...

Hi folks, I wonder if anyone can guess the parentage of this natural hybrid.  As far as I know at present it has not been recorded before (I'm up at the highland nursery so don't have access to Clarke's Nepenthes of Borneo but can't find it on the web anywhere).

If you can't guess it I'll post some clues tomorrow.

Lower pitchers:

mystery lower2.jpg

Upper pitcher:

mystery.jpg

Good grief Darcie, that was fast the posting hadn't been up for one minute! Pity you're wrong, on both parents
biggrin.gif

My guess, (I don't have Clarke's book available either because I'm not at home): N. lowii x N. murudiensis (possibly reinwardtiana, but the coloration reminds me of murudiensis).

Trent

Hi Trent,

Close but no cigar!  

laugh.gif

ROB you already posted a hint... "I'm up at the highland nursery"

The lower basal rosette pitchers remind me alot of N. lavicola.. other than the color once they turn purple.
I am going with N. lavicola x N. sanguinea

If it's not that then it should be since that's what it looks like
tounge.gif

Tony

Getting colder Snowy. Wrong on both counts, it's a natural hybrid not man-made so you need to consder where both parents natually occur. Care to try again?

I'm off to bed now as it's getting late here in Sri Lanka. I'll check back in the morning. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

How about lowii x muluiensis? One of the lowers has that young lowii peristome look to it, but the others have the dark purple of muluiensis.
Regards,

Joe

tounge.gif

Good heavens Tony, whatever you're drinking, I'll have a double!
laugh.gif

Correct about the highland nursery bit. Yep, both parents are highland but N. lavicola and N. sanguinea are both in the wrong geographical region.

Off to bed now. See ya.

Rob,
I love those benches in the background of the upper trap photo. Did you make those out of PVC?

As for the hybrid, I keep wanting to say something from the Borneo highlands, and if its a natural hybrid-lowii x tentaculata or muluensis, if not my previous guess. I look at the lowers and then the uppers, and the attitute of the lid and I think lowii, but the front of the pitcher has that "squared-off" look of the tentaculata group. I guess I don't get to see enough highlanders living here in south Florida.

Trent

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Borneo @ Mar. 19 2004,10:14)]
tounge.gif

Good heavens Tony, whatever you're drinking, I'll have a double!  
laugh.gif
HAHA!

DOH you did say Charles Clarke's BORNEO book... Completely missed that clue LOL

Well, I'm trying to go to bed if you guys would only stop posting for a moment!

Joe, really strange that you should guess that as we do happen to have N. lowii x N. muluensis in cultivation. However, that's not it.

Trent, I'll comment on your second guess tomorrow (my time). Yes, the bench frames are made from PVC 50mm dia (2") 1,000 guage. We glue them and screw them (!).

is it N. lowii x pilosa or N. lowii x stenophylla?

great plant what ever it is.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

look like albomargiana x eustachya almost, and it looks like it hase some spathulata in it. or nep ramispina x sanguinea

Good Morning!   Yawn!

Well one of you is right!  Here's a couple of clues which are a dead give-away really.

Close-up of lower pitcher:

clue_lower.jpg

Now that only gives two likely candidates for the father and I've already discounted one of them.

As for working out who Mom is, here's a close-up of the hybrid upper pitcher:

clue_upper.jpg

So now you know!  Don't you??  
tounge.gif

lowii x tentaculata? I just can't get out of the hairy lid group, lol.

does the winner get a free offshoot of the plant?
wink.gif
tounge.gif

Back