What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
Ok, I know theres an abundance of FAQ's on what and how to's for Nep feeding, but I did'nt find what I was looking for or maybe I missed it.

Does anyone or has anyone used organic fertilizers like the bird or bat gauno in Nep pitchers? I know I read something about pitcher lids and bird poop for N. lowii , but nothing other than that and that was just an evolution possibility. Anyway I don't have a lowii.

By the way, Thanks to all who helped save my N. truncata. It is doing very well now that it is no longer in a terrarium; tray method in open air.

Thanks guys
Joe  
wink.gif

I don't know that anyones tried it.

The pitchers are capable of absorbing nutrients from any source that contains them.  The trick is to not kill off the pitcher.  This can happen by overdoing it and causing fungus/bacteria in the pitcher which then infect the pitcher walls.  Or by burning the pitcher with something too strong.

My experience with fertilizers added to pitchers is they usually turn the pitcher black as it is too much too quickly for the pitcher to handle. Maybe organic fertilizer would be milder.. but then again couldn't you think of crickets as a slow release organic fertilizer?
Tony

I don't think anyone is going to literally go outside, scoop up some fresh bird feces and give it to a Nepenthes pitcher...of course we all grow these wierd plants and with wierd plants come wierd people.
tounge.gif
I personally like to stick with the plants "gourment" food...bugs! They are much more easy to get and of course, don't stick to your fingers or transmit a nasty disease with the use of forceps.

HMM....
rock.gif
 Haven't you seen the bat or bird gauno fertilizer? It comes in compacted pellets or as fresh clay type stuff. NO! I don't play with bird poop either. It's organic fertilizer for people who don't want chemicals in their fruits or vegggies. You can get it in different species of bats and birds with the NPK being different for each. It will not "burn" the plant like chemicals either.

Joe

I'm all for feeding live things insect or mammal. I have heard and read of using fish food and since I use it on some of my other plants it got me curious is all.
wow.gif

Joe
tounge.gif

Ha! Don't take offense, many of us probably just haven't seen this type of fertilizer available before! I knew they had composted manue for mushroom farming but I hadn't seen the bird or bat guano. Is it available at regular garden centers new this year or is it from a specialty organics nursery/website?

If you alrady have some of that stuff onhand it would be worth a try to se what happens. Just start with very small amount into one newly opened pitcher (they are strongest/sturdiest just after fully opening and hardening off). The worst thing that will happen is that particular pitcher will blacken and die. It should not kill your plant, just that particular pitcher. As long as you're willing to sacrifice that pitcher for the sake of experimenting then go for it because it's the only way you'll ever know how it will react. After you do it make sure you let us know how it goes!
smile.gif

I thought someone was "pokin fun" at me. It's really common here. I thought everybody has heard of it. I always find it in hydro stores or organic gardening stores. Interesting.

wink.gif
Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I thought someone was "pokin fun" at me.

Nope, but we will if you want us to!
wink.gif

Personally, I feed koi pellets. Someone said they are nutritionally similar to bugs, so that's what I do. I have dried crickets, too, but they are pretty big. Anyway, my neps are all growing pretty well, so I don't think it hurts any. I don't have enough experience to judge whether the koi food is better/the same/worse than feeding bugs, though. But it's easier!
smile.gif

Capslock

Huh,koi food I`ll have to try that when the neps I ordered get here,hmm... I guess my goldfish might get jealous. Lol.:laugh:

Back