What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rooting hormone usage

Sorry all, I have lots of questions today ...
biggrin.gif

I don't have an application for this question but am curious.

Rooting hormones (RH) - Usually used to assist cuttings to take root.

Would RH be of any assistance in encouraging a plant (I'm referring to Neps) with poor root development (i.e. NOT a cutting but a full plant) to grow stronger roots?

Aaron.

PS. That title should have been USAGE not USEAGE!

And I have many answers for you.
biggrin.gif

As for using rooting hormones on an already established plant, will the effect be greater/improved roots?

No, rooting hormone is applied to cutting to assist in root formation, not augment present roots. The only thin that will give you better roots are airy soil with a high porosity % and the use of a plant hormone such as Superthrive, it will increase root mass if the plant is not doing its "best". Sickly plants or new arrivals often benefit from it most rather than established and healthy strong growing plants.

Thanks mate.

A fountain of knowledge yet again.

Aaron.

Adding to an already established plant CAN have the opposite effect. Rather than further rooting it can actually create more growing shoots which are usually spindly cause several growing points will drain the energy which is set for a single meristem.

smile.gif
Joe

Rooting hormones can accelerate rooting in a stem cutting or basal bud cutting, but it is not necessary to use one, to get your nep cutting to root. Some species of Neps; however, are very difficult to root ie, N. x trusmadiensis. In these cases, a rooting hormone would be very useful but it is still not guaranteed the trusmadiensis cutting will root.

Gus

Back