What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anyone have these

does anyone have any of these plants? if so where did you get them and how do you take care of them? are they easy or difficult? I want to buy an N. Rafflesiana, N. Hemata, N. Jacquelinae, N. Spec. nov sumatra and N. Ephippiata
rock.gif
laugh.gif

Hi,

Nice choices! But most of the plants you listed are extremely rare and expensive and hard to care for. I suugest starting off with easier species, gradually working your way into medium and hard to grow Nepenthes. For beginners plants I suggest:

N. gracilis
N. rafflesiana (you listed) good choice
smile.gif

N. alata
N. khasiana
N. x Judith Finn
N. x Ventrata
N. ventricosa
N. x rokko
N. maxima
N. ampullaria
N. bicalcarata (if you have a LARGE warm area)
N. tobiaca

Cheers!

well i know where to get all these plants from and the only one that is expensive are the N. jacquelinae. i have a large place. i live in a dorm room but it's only me in one room and the room is well very big. plus i'm quite sure by the time the plants mature i won't be in this dorm. i can deal with hard plants. but my hard to grow what do you mean? i never understand the difference b/t a hard to care for plant and an easy to care for plant. i have an N. ventricosa and another plant that is on its way is N. burbidgeae. to me all plants are hard to grow b/c if you don't take care of them they die. i dunno i never know the difference.

An example of a difficult (hard) plant is N. villosa.

An example of a beginner (easy) plant is N. ventricosa.

Many Nepenthes are very hard to grow due to mostly temperature requirments. Lowlanders need very warm and humid conditions almost all the time while, Ultrahighland and Highland Nepenthes need warm day temps with very cold night temps (50-45F) and high humidity with good air flow. These plants aren't like your typical spider plant.
wink.gif
I reccomend the following site to broaden your view of what I'm trying to say:

http://www.plantswithattitude.com

I recommend n. ampullaria. Sure it might be a little harder than the easiest ones, but I'd say its pretty easy. Just keep it warm and humid and give it ok light.
smile.gif
plus it looks really cool.

I grow a N. x Ventrata and N. khasiana x ventricosa. I find both very easy plants. I grow them in a south facing window. Once they adjusted to the low humidity of the house they started to pitcher.
I would love to try a N. hamata, but I do not want to spend the money for this plant and can not find anyone to trade with.

the N. hamata i saw was $35 at one site. I just paid $65 for the N. Burbidgeae it's a name your clone seedling though and it comes with more then one of them too So I will have like 47of the N. Burbidgeae.
wow.gif
The N. Jacquelinae that I want is $96.
wow.gif
Heart attack!!!! I think I will wait until the summer to get that one though. I'm gonna but the less expensive ones first!!

I know which site you're ordering the N. burbidgeae from by just the description. You wil receive 4 plants, 1 mature and about 3 seedlings, not 7.

Did you look at the site I provided to you? I would ease off on the N. jacquelineae, I know its an awesome plant, but please, I can't stress it enough, try easier species first!

The easy and hard to grow plants means whether or not it will forgive your mistakes. Or it's ability to adapt to YOUR environment. Hard plants will refuse to forgive or adapt to your environment. Easy plants will forgive time and time again and adapt as well.

Joe

thanx for the site i added it to my favorites list. well i know i said 7 seedlings, but i was just excited!! You're scaring me about N. jacquelineae. OMG is it that bad!!

What I don't want to see, is a person want to by a plant for its looks and not consider what it needs to live and thrive to continue to provide you with those looks you so desire. It is an expensive and new Nepenthes, don't get overexcited about it if you have no idea how to cool it at night.

well i do know how to cool it at night time and trust me im not buying it for the looks. I really do believe I can take care of it, as long as it's night time temp. doesn't go below 40 degrees.

What are your cooling techniques and what temperature can yu achieve employing it?

i knew you were gonna ask me that and I have no answer to give you b/c it's more of like there are several places in my house that have an extremely high humidity and plus I live in New Orleans and Jackson, MS so the humidity is very high and the lighting is very bright. but I am gonna do more research on the plants and see if there is anything I need to do besides giving it high humidity which I do in the bathroom b/c the lights in my bathroom are very bright. My mom insists on having bright lights!! My stepdad can help me with the cooling stuff but our house gets pretty cold at night time it some places it dips to 40 degrees in a certain room b/c the fans are on 24/7. but I'm going to wait to buy that one like I said because I want to make sure I want this plant. I'm not gonna buy something and let it die!! so I will buy some of the plants you suggested.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Mar. 27 2004,9:49)]I grow a N. x Ventrata and N. khasiana x ventricosa. I find both very easy plants. I grow them in a south facing window. Once they adjusted to the low humidity of the house they started to pitcher.
I would love to try a N. hamata, but I do not want to spend the money for this plant and can not find anyone to trade with.
N. khasiana x ventricosa isn`t that called N. x mastersiana?

I believe N. x 'Masteriana' is N. khasiana x N. sanguinea.
I would be surprised if you can provide those kind of cool temps naturally in Mississippi. I live in Nebraksa, and I can't do it in my basement. The reason may be that I use 10 gallon tanks and the air movement is too poor.

Regards,

Joe

Lol I aded one too many s`es lol,.

surprisingly my stepdad can help lower the temp. so im not worried bout nething.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]thanx for the site i added it to my favorites list. well i know i said 7 seedlings, but i was just excited!! You're scaring me about N. jacquelineae. OMG is it that bad!!
Well, we just don't know yet if it's that bad. It hasn't been in cultivation long enough. A few of us are growing it, though because of the price of the plant, I, for one, am very hessitant to test it's durability. Once it's big enough to take a cutting, THEN I'll see if it can take lower hudimidy, or whatever. If I don't trade the cutting for something else rare and expensive, that is!

NepG isn't trying to scare you but more trying to emphasize that you really want to be sure you are proficient at growing easy Neps before embarking on anything that is slightly tempermental. N. jacq can be a tempermental plant, as a highlander it requires a nightly drop to the low mid to low 50s (something that is not easily accomplished in a dorm room) and humidity levels have to be fairly high. Lots of the highlanders are like this, hamata, diatas, lowii, ephipiata, etc and as such do not make good beginner plants. Now plants like alata, khasiana, gracillis, etc are more tolerant. They can take higher night temps, a wide range of humidity and light and are very forgiving of too much/too little watering and the like.

Basically it all boils down to knowing your limits, like with any hobby. You should work your way up to the more difficult plants rather than just jump right in. Or, to use an analogy, you might think kayaking looks cool but that does not mean you go out and buy a kayak and then jump in and try to run a class VI rapid. First you learn how to paddel and roll in a pool and then work your way up from class I to class II to class III to class IV to class V and finally class VI. It might take years but at least you do it right
smile.gif

Back