What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Nep - Big pictures

Hey all,

Just wanted to show off a find I had last week.

On a work lunch break I went with a workmate to a local nursery just to have a look at their fern section.

Just as I was about to leave and was looking for my friend I stumbled across a small rack of Neps (much unexpectedly too).

I came away with 2 plants.  The first (see below) is a 40cm+ (17"+) wide N. 'alardii' (veitchii x maxima).  The other (will get a photo loaded up later) was a 25cm+ (10"+) wide N. fusca.

The Allardii is a huge plant but lacking in pitchers due (I am assuming) to the dry conditions it has been kept in at the nursery.  Leaf growth is fine, as you can see, so I am hoping that some of the tendrils may still be viable and start to grow now that the plant is in more humid and higher light conditions of my glasshouse.  There is also 3 growing tips (2 of which you can see in the photo).

mypic17.JPG

mypic18.JPG

Not the prettiest pitcher in the world, but we'll see how they turn out now that the plant has better conditions.  Fingers crossed.

I'll get the N. fusca shots up later.

Aaron.

PS I'm heading back later this week to get one of the 20cm+ N. sanguineas they had.  I've already got one but at AU$14 how can I resist I ask ;-)

Nice catch, Aaron. Lovely plant.

Wish I could find ANY Cp's localy, no where in town has any CP's, I've called every Lowes within 70 miles!

hi Aaron,
You won't be disappointed with the N. allardii. Give it constant humidity, bright, warm days and coolish nights and you will get some nice pitchers with flared peristomes.

Trent

Thanks Trent,

That's the plan!

Based on all the pictures I could find of Allardii I'm hoping they'll be somewhat redder than the current ones as well.

Aaron.

Back