What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windowsill Nepenthes

Hey capslock, do you think i would have any luck growing a N. aristolochioides
or N. hamata? I live in the San Ramon Valley so it gets abit warm but during the night it drops into the 50-60 during the summer.

#### , Max! I am envious!
biggrin.gif
 REALLY great setups! My surviving nepenthes from the move are starting to come back, they are all finally producing pitcher buds that dont brown and crinkle and rot
tounge.gif
. Maybe i'll be able to come over and look at your setups? I'd be embarrased to show you my plants, though... Except for my cephalotus which is putting out its first pitcher
tounge.gif
cool.gif
If i cant go up to your place maybe we could meet at phils and swap nepenthes? (phil is about 30 minutes away, but you're about an hour)
biggrin.gif

My N. x Ventrata has been a windowsill Nep for two winters in CT and grows great.  But it stops pitchering.  I have narrow windows, so it is starved for light even in a southern window.  Sharing the space with a bunch of orchids can't help.

I had enough space under the orchid light fixture (2 x 48" bulbs) to keep the rest of my Neps there.  That might not be any more light than in the window, but my N. ventricosa pitchered right through the winter and the N. khasiana & N. sanguinea are pitchering now.  The N. maxima I started from a cutting is getting close and my new N. fusca (Sarawak form) is still adjusting.  I expect to try most or all of them in windows next winter because of space issues under the light.

IceDragon,
You could easily have success with those provided you can give consistent low nighttime temps and enough humidity, especially for the N. aristolochioides. But yes, San Ramon is pretty ideal weather for highlands. I would absolutely NOT try those plants in a windowsill, however. That's the domain of the hardy, cheap neps!

Spec, you can come check 'em out any time! Just let me know. You won't leave empty-handed! We could also swap any time.

Capslock

Ok thanks caps! What should i grow them in then if i ever decide to get one? I don't really have any money for a green house.
sad.gif
If i grow then in a tank what good would the natural night time cooling and morning humidity do.

Speakin of windowsill neps...do you think my(your) N. x ventrata is ready for a such a setup? Does it need more humidity then I can provide?

Thanks! The plant is doing great...bigger leaves, and growing has speeded up a bit. I think it wants to get out a good amount of leaves before it can start to mature all its pitchers.

Nice pitchers everyone . i like that nep growing place in the racks.

Nice plants! I am cringing with envy
mad.gif
...I suppose it is not a good sign if you can write dry on your hand is it? Man, I wish I could grow my neps outside of my tank. Thanks for sharing the photos.
smile.gif

Travis

Travis,
Give it a try. You might be surprised.
My house humidity in the winter is like 10%. My plants grew no problem. It did take some time for them to start pitchering.
They should be happier next winter. I installed a whole house humidifier on my furnace not long ago.

Back