What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truncata photo

PAK,

Nice truncata! And like the others, I love the live sphagnum! I'm kind of trying to get live sphagnum growing in all my nep pots, but have had mixed success. Right now I'm trying to grow a bunch in a clear plastic container with a lid. It seems to be really taking off, so I may be onto a good way to get a bunch quickly.

Capslock

capslock thats what im doing atm, i frequently mist in there, somes yellow somes very green, i duno what it wants to grow very well

PAK,

As with you I find that I get loads of LFS growth from what appears dead.

Mine is purchased form a local garden centre in sealed packets. The LFS is brown and moist. However, it starts to grow within a week or so and by 2 months what ever pot I have used it in will have a full covering of nice green moss.

Conditions?

Glasshouse, 50% shade cloth, misting comes on for 1-3 minutes every hour during daylight hours, etc.

I think an important fact is actually moisture from below. I.e. I find it grows better in larger pots. Larger pots have more media and therefore better moisture retention and stability.

With PAK lining her tanks with the moss it would be constantly in a high moisture environment with little or no dry periods (what I feel causes poor or no growth given all other conditions being ideal).

Aaron.

what is this shade cloth you speak of?

during summer i am planning on putting a little nursery in my back yard, the top was going to be that criss cross wood like people use for fences or stuff, its some shade some light, the spot where im gona put it in gets sunlight from dawn till almost dusk

it would bring fire to my plants but like i said i am planning on putting that criss cross wood on the top so its half shade half sun , somewhat, and my parents are going to let the bugamvilia vine over that,

would that criss-cross would be good? im not 100% sure what its called, my dad said it but its some weird name, it has like diamond shaped holes

Stefano...you are referring to lattice. You can find it in garden stores in large "sheets".

Aaron...I think thats a good point. My moss doesn't get so much water from above...all the water is below it, just as it would be in a bog. I just make sure there is water in the bottom of the tank at all times. I have less success with live moss in pots although the more moss there is in the pot, the better it seems to do.

I've found that lining the bottom of my tanks with moss helps keep the humidity up, as well as, in my opinion, helping the tendrils to pitcher when the tendrils rest in the moss. And a side benefit...in the drosera tanks I find beautiful little sundews nestled down in the moss. I've gotten some nice plants that way.
smile.gif

yeh! thats what its called, i hope it works as a part sun blocker, i still want my neps to get alot of sun cus ive found that my truncata grows faster if in bright sun, but too much sun will burn them, im in fl and this sun is crazy,...

just snapped a few shots about 2 hrs ago

old truncata pitcher
Apr07537.sized.jpg

new coming pitcher

Apr07539.sized.jpg

whole plant
Apr07540.sized.jpg

that is an awesome truncata . I recently bought one from cooks . It really hasnt grown at all yet but its nice and green it has about a 3 inch leaf span. It had a small pitcher on it when i got it but it turned brown. I cant wait till it gets big. my problem was its humidity but i just moved it in a 10 gallon tank with really high humidity and perfect temps.:)

Mine grew a leaf then the tendril stopped and a new leaf started almost over night and the other leaf still does nothing now. Leaf growth is picking up but I still have no pitcher. Leaf span is like 4"-5" across. I'm not a patient person.

Joe

Hey Stefano,

What is your plant's leafspan and pitcher size?  It's obviously a nice size plant from the pictures, but I just gotta know details!
wink.gif

Does anybody else know if the more "upright" leaf growth is a sign of finally reaching near maturity?  Looking at mature plants, they seem to have more angled growth than immature rosettes.  

SF

By the way PAK and Stefano1, those are sharp lookin plants. It's pictures from private growers that keep me in suspense waiting for my plants. Cause its like commercial growers and gardens feel like "my plants aren't gonna look like that" but then I see Joe Schmo with a nice plant and its like OK just wait and it'll get there.

Thanks
Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SnowyFalcon @ April 08 2004,4:46)]Hey Stefano,

What is your plant's leafspan and pitcher size?  It's obviously a nice size plant from the pictures, but I just gotta know details!
wink.gif

Does anybody else know if the more "upright" leaf growth is a sign of finally reaching near maturity?  Looking at mature plants, they seem to have more angled growth than immature rosettes.  

SF
the size of the plant is about 11" and that oldish pitcher is about 5" from the top lid to the bottom

its not that big, dustin has a truncata that i am hungry for lol

Back