What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truncata photo

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Ok...this is nothing exciting.  Its the newest pitcher on my N. truncata.  Measures 8" to the top of the lid.  But since this forum is dominated by GUYS...I have to stick a pic in now and again to remind y'all women grow neps too.  
tounge.gif

comptrunc4-04.jpg

biggrin.gif

Suzanne

Very nice Suzanne (both plant and picture).

How old is the plant? I have a small (8-9cm diam.) N. truncata that is a tissue culture plant and cannot wait till the day it starts producing pitchers like that.

Aaron.

That's a nice N. truncata. And, just so you don't feel too outnumbered, I have to tell you that my wife also grows Nepenthes.

Hey, very nice!

i am curious to know what are the conditions you grow it in?

Thanks y'all.
smile.gif
And YAY to your wife, Neps!

Lets see...the truncata is about 1 1/2 to 2 years old. I got it from PFT originally. It had about a 6" total leaf span at the time. For a looong time it did nothing...I thought the dang thing would neeeever grow or pitcher. But lordy once it started...it seemed to grow pretty fast.

Its been grown in a tank under artificial lighting where its pretty humid and temps are mainly in the 70s (warmer in the summer). Unfortunately its outgrown its housing. Its leaves are probably about 7" long (plus tendril and pitcher) so it was getting cramped.

It had a few baby pitchers on it when I first got it...then it produced one that was about 4". I thought that was big. But after that, nothing less than 7" pitchers. However, it takes a while for the pitchers to grow and by the time I get a new one, the old one is starting to fade. So I don't have a lot of pitchers at one time. There is a new one starting to form now. I was really surprised at how quickly this plant starting throwing the larger ones. I thought I'd get a lot of little pitchers for a good while but it hopped right over those and went to the 7-8" pitchers. I'm sure pitchers would be larger if I had it in a larger space. I'm trying to figure out where I could put a nep chamber...

I just moved it to a larger tank this weekend so now it has a little more space to grow but it will outgrow this tank soon I'm sure. I mostly ignore it and yet its grown well. I wouldn't really call it a fast grower but it seems like that to me since every time I look at it its bigger or has a new pitcher.

Wowzers! That's a really nice truncata. I had lousy luck with mine (killed it), but I'm starting to get the itch again....May have to get a new one soon....IF the wife lets me, that is...LOL

Nice plant PAK!

Mine is still at your 'first stage', aka doing quite nothing to my eyes :p The plants is 9-10" in diameter, and I hope it will start growing faster and pitchering soon
smile.gif
. With such pitchers, the cat will surely think twice before getting close of it
tounge.gif

Nice truncata Suzanne, gotta love that peristome
smile.gif

Hang in there Tommy.
smile.gif
I was really getting frustrated with it because it didn't do ANYTHING for such a long time. Once it starts to grow...it grows!

This guy also produced a basal shoot...which has grown very little even though its been around a good while. Maybe it will do the same thing...just suddenly take off.

I have a couple of mice invading my kitchen...HMMMMMMMMMMMMM.... a mouse might make a tasty truncata snack.
tounge.gif
(And NO, I'd never do that!)

Your plant looks great. I'm envious of your live sphagnum. I've got a couple small clums, but they grow realllllly slow.

Anyways, mine seems to do the same thing your's does. It just jumps to bigger sizes by like an inch or more. My newest one jumped from about 8 to 10 in. in two leaves(the last one didn't work because of the cold weather we had in Florida when it was foming, so the pitcher died.). The new pitcher hasn't even opened yet so it might get a bit bigger yet.

hamata

im trying to grow live sphagnum around my neps, dosnt wor, i have it growing in a very small 2.5 gal terarium, its very green but onnce i put it around one of my plants it dosnt seem to grow anymore and it gets lotta sun and its verrry humid inside the greenhouse

once i put it it was very nice then now it loks like there isnt any, just a few green spos, it pisses me off , im so jealous of everyone elses set ups with tere highlands wher it grows everywhere

and PAK my truncata did the exact same thing, hardly did anything now its starting to grow alot faster it seeems, i think its because of the more sunlight im giving to it, which is good heh

Nice truncata! So when are you going to send it to me? I offered you a drosera spathulata for it
smile.gif
i can't wait!
biggrin.gif

(inside joke)
tounge.gif
wow.gif
laugh.gif

lol Spec...nooooobody is getting my truncata.
tounge.gif

As for live sphagnum...you know how I get it? I line the bottom of all my tanks with plain ol' dead sphagnum like you buy at Lowes in bags. I keep it wet and the tank is under lighting. After a couple of months...VOILA! A carpet of green live sphag. It regenerates.
smile.gif
You get a lot because instead of starting with one small clump of live, you have a carpet of dead and the whole carpet starts to grow. I have live moss in all my tanks and thats how it gets there--3-4 inches thick. Its not as robust as what grows in bogs but works real well as a humidifier.

i put lfs on the top of mine but nothing re grows
sad.gif

just a few spots

Do you keep the sphag really wet Stefano? I pour water into the bottom of the tank and the lights are very strong. It takes some months for it to start to regenerate.

not really wet, its like moist, would i have to top water everyday for it to grow?

Well mine is in a tank and I just pour water into the tank. Not enough that the nep pots sit in water but enough for the moss to be almost covered.

Nice plant PAK! It must be that woman's touch I do not have...
blues.gif
tounge.gif

Back