What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. rajah pic

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cpaddict @ April 20 2004,5:00)]never mind mice or rats, let's get some with cats

plant by p. biddlecombe and photo by d. daly

cat%20in%20ntep.gif
is that a real pitcher?
wow.gif
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

I remember someone posted this in october 2003 or something...

yes, it is a real nep and it is a big n. thorelli

james

I am not trying to be cruel, but the day a kitten can't get out of something like that by itself, it's doing the gen pool a favor, lol.
I can not believe that a thorelii picher can get that big. unbelievable.
Also, I am thinking the rat -in-rajah pic was cut-and-pasted, as it looks like a mature rat and immature rajah pitcher.
I am sure a not-so-old CPN had a exerpt that Chi'en Lee found skeletal remains of a rat in a rajah, so it was the second confirmed case. Note this only happens when it's dry and the rat is just trying to get a drink.

Thanks,

Joe

wow.gif
wow... I thought it was just photoshop edited...

that cat must be 5 inches long ;)

Thats an N. thorelli! Holy mama....

If that is real, it is definitely the shizzle!
cool.gif

Joe

Joe, I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that you think that I Photoshopped that rat into the N. rajah!
tounge.gif

Capslock

Actually, I am quite confident that the plant in the picture
is not N. thorelii. Looks more like N. sanguinea to me, but
it's hard to tell with the cat there.

As far as i know the photo is not altered in any way, so it is real. The cat is in fact inserted into the pitcher. and as far as the id of the Nep, the person who owned this plant swears it is a thorelli. He's been growing neps for 25 years

it is throlii x truncata
no way a throlii could get that big !

I agree with Jeff. I forgot my initial thought before I started going thr the thread that it looked more like the giant red form of N. sanguinea that Geoff Mansell used to have pictured on his old site.
It is real easy to think the cat was doctored in, but I think Rob Cantley had a pic he posted of a kitten stuck in a pitcher.....is this some kind of deranged nepenthophile disorder we are seeing(kind of like "cat Juggling" from "The Jerk" ?

Joe
wow.gif

You people putting kittens into giant Nep pitchers...that cat might claw that beautiful specimen to shreds!

I must chime in with Joe and Jeff- thorelii producing pitchers that size is almost as incredible as cat eating Nepenthes.

As for the rajah-rat myth: its true. It was Burbidge or one of those other plant hunters from the Victorian age that reported finding a rat trapped in a N. rajah. But closer to home. At the Mounts Botanical Garden Plant Sale last spring a woman told me her N. ventrata got so large that she had to cut it back. She claimed is wasn't a pleasant experience because one of the traps sitting on the ground had a half digested field mouse in it and discovered this the hard way when the contents spilled out upon removing the old vines.
This would be in West Palm Beach Florida.

Trent

iky.
tounge.gif

Field mouse I can buy, because they're not all that big. Still gross.

Back