What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My lighting

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
HI,
My merrilliana and bical. have new leaves that are the deepest blood red and the merrilliana has bumps that are showing very strongly. Are the bumps just nectar glands? As for the strong red color, are the lights too close or just adjusting to the lighting? Also the merrilliana's new leaf tendril looks tan at the tip, but humidity is 80% day and night with temp also at 80deg.F. day and night. No red on truncata leaves though.

Joe

Hey Joe, what kind of lights (ie, flourescent, HID, whatever), and how far below the lights are the plants? For the merri, young leaves are (at least on mine) are often maroon, but lighten a little as the mature. My bical is a little further from the lights than the merri, but still darkens somewhat along the leaf edges. As long as the leaves are red, not brown or yellow, I'd say you're most likely ok.

My light is Compact flourescent 6500lumens (same specs. as MH). The light is 8-12" above the plants.

Joe

Here is a good guide for identifying nectar glads:
http://www.exoticplantsplus.com/NNectarGlands.htm

And, I believe it is normal for merrilliana's new leaves to be darker red than the others. It was also mentioned in another post, that this fades as the leaf ages.

See ya,
Pat

Hi there. As long as your leaves are red and fleshy but not brown and crispy then they are fine. You must realize that brighter light will draw out the pigment from the plants tissues, just like human sunburn! In time the plant will acclimate to the healthier (brighter) light and reward you will larger and more colorful pitchers while the leaves may actually become smaller and thicker. Some plants loose the red coloreation in the leaves and some have it all the time in bright light. my N. merilliana's leaves have gotten about 1/2 the size they were when i received it and turned almost solid red but the pitchers are 4 times the size when the plant arrived. this ois what bright lighting will do. In a confine space smaller leaves but bigger pitchers is the best way to go as you can fit more specimens in the same space.

Just keep the humidity high and be sure the plants don't dry out too much and bright light will be your best friend in nepenthes cultivation!

Have fun!

Back