What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick ?

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
Since from what I hear they (northiana) prefer lower light levels. Would it be ok to put a shade cloth over this one plant?

6500lumens are 12" above plants that are in a terrarium that is 18"x36"x18"

Am I stressin for nothin? I read and lowlanders are the same except I read that this one is different and now I got my feathers ruffled.

Joe

Hey Joe,
In my experience, other "low light" neps like truncata and ampularia do better with more flourescent than with less. I think "low light" is really in reference to direct sun (i.e. they're not particularly fond of it). But with flourescent fixtures I don't think you could provide "too much" light. My amp grows right up to about 3" below my tubes, and is none the worse for wear.

Artificial light, especially fluorescents are not powerful enough to sheild your plant from it. I do not sheild my N. northiana from even a 400 Watt metal halide. When your plants are surviving on artificial light alone you do not want to restrict or shade the plant from any of it. None of the plants that are often termed "low light" actually grow better with less artificial light (N. bicalcarata, ampullaria, truncata, etc). I grow all Nepenthes under the brightest light I can provide for them (meaning I cover the entire growing chambers top with light).

Let there be light!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for clearing that up guys. Much appreciated!

Joe

Back