What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing pervillei?

Anyone growing N. pervillei? Looks interesting but have read it is difficult to grow. Obviously hot humid conditions are a must. Any other suggestions besides growing it on a hunk of granite in the middle of the ocean?

Well.... hot and humid yeah since it's lowland. Did you read it was hard on Wistuba's webpage too? Haha. I went on the forum there and someone posted a topic like this. Andreas Wistuba answered and said it was easy until it got older... but that leaves the question: Why is it hard when it's older? And I can't help you there.

Agh! I want a n. pervillei so bad! Lol. I'll get one this summer and try it out.

I was growing this plant for a time and I can say it is definitly not your typical lowlander. High temps are a must, I think this plant is very much like a bical and will expire if temps hit 60 or lower. It also prefers a drier soil level, how much drier I can not really say as mine didn't make it.

I've asked the same question on multiple forums and have yet to get a conclusive answer. I don't think too many people grow this plant.

Get one and let us know how you do.
wink.gif

I wonder if these are harder to grow as larger plants because they are then more sensitive to environmental changes. This seems to be the case with many other Nepenthes where seedlings can grow in a variety of habitats but many will not reach maturity. It is such an unusual looking Nepenthes that I am surprised more have not tried it. At least if I knew what did not work I would not repeat the same mistakes. I think I am going to order a couple and give them slightly different conditons. I read on one website that some plants were growing in the wild on a very thin soil over granite. I assume such soils would be neutral and would dry quickly (rather like a silica sand mix). Anyone have any info on soils in the Seychelles?

Back