What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes sibuyanensis

nep29

BANNED
i have a sibuyanensis that i bought recently and it won't pitcher
i have it in my room on a cold window sill on the tray system with high humidity around here naturally what am i doing wrong?

How recent is recently? It can take a new plant months in some cases to settle in and make pitchers. N. sibuyanensis is a sporadic pitcher producer even in the greenhouse. The tendrils get very long and like to twine around and bury themselves in surrounding pots or hang waaaaayyyy down under the benches. They take a long time to reach the point where a pitcher developes. So it is deffinately one of the species that needs a fair bit of time to settle in.

And when you say tray system do you mean it is sitting in water all the time like other Cps?

Final questions.. How does the new growth look? Are the tendrils continuing to elongate?
Which way does the window face? Is the plant getting any artificial light?
Define natural high humidity..

Tony

hi tony
i bought it in january the new growthlooks healthy but after a while it goes brown
sad.gif
and when i got it,it had a pitcher on it
smile.gif
& yes it it on the tray system like other cp's but only a little water
the soil is peat toped with sphag it gets about 2 houres of natrul light i can't be cirtain becouse i am asleep most of the time
also it is a clone
the clone number is "sbt-28"
hope that helps
smile.gif

i was hoping sibuyanensis is easy to grow before i purchased it

i hear it very hard to grow
but what this website says, i think it just a slow grower
Here it is
best wishes,
Hellz

I brought one 6 month ago with other varieties of Nep. It still by far the slowest growing I got. It does not like temperature above 35 C (Mine got burnt first time it hit 35C) It start to recover now with autumn.

N. sibuyanensis is not that hard to cultivate. Seems to be pretty much typical highlander so far and can tolerate temps up to 100F (37C) (highest my greenhouse has been this year) and it was fine as was N. villosa, hamata, etc, but I have a misting system and very good airflow. So those are contributing factors as to keep humidity and evaporation rates high. Also it is in 60% shade, temps are much cooler under it than the opposite end of the greenhouse where there is no shadecloth.

My .02 cents

yeah i have only just started putting em on the window sill
out side the window is where i grow my neps & i have shade cloth up
it rarley gets about 40oC here in summer
and around 20oC here in winter
summer nights are warm can be cool & humid if it is raining
winter nights occasionly can get down to -o- becouse i live on a big pleateau

Hi I got a sibt28 since November last year and it still without pitchers, so don't get upset. It'll happen sooner or later

Gus

looks like I'll be adding yet ANOTHER nep to my "Tony Want List"
wow.gif

Back