What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What sexs are your neps?

BigCarnivourKid

It's been one of dem days
After reading Spec and Tony's discussion in "looking for N. khasiana male" I got to wondering what the ratio of male to female is among the plants we grow.

Right now I have one male N. ventricosa in bloom.  I have another ventricosa, a gracilis and a N. spathulata x veitchii of unknown sex.  

So   male neps: 1
          females: 0
       unknown: 3

Anyone else??

7 females
3 males

even thoe in the wild 70% are male & 30% female
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nep29 @ April 25 2004,6:07)]even thoe in the wild 70% are male & 30% female
smile.gif
No they are not Matti

whoo's matti?
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

You.
wink.gif

BCK, I have so far

2 females
0 males
alot of unknowns! N. truncata will be in bloom soon so that will be added to the list...probably a male.

All unknown. I can't get them to flower. Such is the trouble with growing plants in tanks under lights....Maybe I should adjust the photo period a few times a year to somewhat mimmic seasonal changes.

I have two females, and I know that only because they were labeled that way. I also have many unknowns. Anyone know about their named cultivars?

Peter

Hello

Of the Nep I know I have 4 males (N. campanulata, N. ventricosa ‘red’,N. x mirabilis gold x mixta superba and N. x spathulata x maxima) and No females

thanks
-Jeremiah-

darn foiled how did u catch me?
rock.gif

i just wan't evrey one to know im in it for the cp's nothing elce no more trouble
i left that behind when i came to high school
smile.gif
tounge.gif

I think it's the grammar. Why all the name changes?

smile.gif
glad it's all out in tha open
tounge.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif

Someone mentioned gender of certain cultivars: true N. Mixta Superba is male, even though there is a female clone of N. Mixta 'Sanguinea'. If anyone has this clone or knows where to find it, please contact me! Also, N. Dyeriana is male, N. Morganiana is female, N. 'Lt. Pring' is female, 'Ile de France' is male, There are both male and female N. Rokko, because it is a grex name. We have a female, as well as a female N. wrigleyana. N. 'Miranda' and N. 'Coccinea' are males...the N. ventrata that is mislabelled as N. alata is female, but alas, she is sterile.... the list goes on.

Trent

2 male:
N. x coccinea
N. x dyeriana

1 female:
N. veitchii x tiveyi

about 40 unknown

JA

So far, based on the few numbers given, it look's like about a one to one ratio.  10 male plants to 12 female plants.  Then there is a bunch of "Unknowns" out there which out number the male and females together from the sound of it
laugh.gif
.  Mind you, this is no where near being a scientific poll and the few numbers we have posted here aren't really enough to firmly base a definate answer on.   The numbers at this point, though, indicate that the male:female nep ratio is likely very close to 1:1.

Sorry for the newb question, but how can you tell if it's male or female?
rock.gif

Est,

You can tell by the flower. Male flowers and female flowers look a little different. You should be able to find a drawing online or in one of many popular books.

Regards,

Joe

Back