What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jus wanted to know...

is it possible to make a cutting grow roots from the top and bottom?
then u can plant it in 2 seperate pots and have the pitchers hang down, like a nep rainbow
lol
jus wanted to know if it was possible
Hellz
tounge.gif

Hmm interesting question..

I have not tried to root a cutting from the 'wrong' end but based on my experience and training in plant physiology I will venture a guess.
Auxin generally accumulates in the lowest point of the plant by gravity which induces roots. If you have a long enough vine and bent it into an upside down U and put both ends in the soil it will probably grow roots on both ends and sprout somewhere at the top of the inverted U.

Not sure I really see the point from a growers view but would be an interesting experiment from a scientific standpoint.

Tony

cool, that would b cool
as for the reason for a grower to do it, so the pitchers could hang from the arch and would look cool
lol
tounge.gif

Yeah you mentioned that in your first post.. Ok if it makes you happy.

In short order you would have a vine growing upward from the top of the inverted U so the pitchers would just be hanging normal anyway. You would also have to water two pots for one plant hehe (not to mention I could put a different plant in the space taken by the second pot!)

If you have the room and the vine go for it
wink.gif

Dungeon, if you want to have hanging pitchers in that way (a horizontal vine with a row of downward hanging pitchers) you'll need some supports for the vine to grow up and wind around (this will take many months to several years depending upon how big of plant you start with). To keep the vine trained to the trelis or whatever you use as a support get a bunch of green garden vine twist ties which have a soft wire inside soft plastic and don't tie them too tightly.

At the local orchid greenhouse they have a few large neps which are growing up to and climbing across the rafters with pitchers hanging down in sheets (it's very cool!) but the vine is always seeking to grow upwards. Whatever node (or nodes) are pointed skyward (or are uppermost) are the ones which will grow and will dictate the direction the plant will attempt to grow. My N. fusca (Tambunan Road form) is now a huge 3ft+ plant that's trying to grow up but the lid of my growing chamber is keeping it from going any farther vertically so now it's growing horizontally but still from the tip.

Interesting question. We just had a cutting semiar at the NECPS meeting, and John Phillip was talking about just this. He said that he has discovered that cutting put in upsidedown will not grow. The found this out he hard way.
smile.gif

awww man, o well it would have been cool if it worked
wink.gif

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

Back