What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

some new photos for spring

It's been a while since I took any photos of the plants (been busy) so I thought I'd post a little update on my little pets...

I'll start with the heat loving lowlanders:
N. rafflesiana (giant) - pitcher here is about 12-13 cm and not yet opened:
giantraff4.jpg

here's a 12 cm one that is open:
giantraff5.jpg

N. clipeata Clone U,  this pitcher is about 6-7 cm high
clipeata1.jpg

N. ampullaria Tayeve Giant form, this pitcher is 6 cm high almost the same size as the adult pitchers on my regular green ampullaria and this one is still a juvenile!
giantamp3.jpg

N. campanulata at about 5 cm the pitchers are getting closer to adult size if you ever get one, feed it very carefully! The pitchers just love to look great and then you fed them the tiniest bit and they'll blacken. The smallest pinhead crickets I can get is what I use to feed this guy.
campanulata3.jpg

to be continued....

Nice lowland Neps, swords.

Love the Campunlata (sp).

Here's some intermediates who've been behaving themselves very well...

N. sanguinea orange this one is about 20 cm and has copious drops of nectar everywhere after a good feeding.
sanguineaorange2.jpg

N. miranda this guy has gotten huge and loves the 400W of Metal halide turning a deep burgundy color and making a pitcher about 35-40 cm high which I can barely rech to show you:
miranda2.jpg

Here's a smaller 30 cm high one that is easier to photograph:
miranda1.jpg

N. eustachya has become a tree under the metal halide and made this nice 25 cm intermediate/upper pitcher. The vine itself is about 48" long.
eustachya2.jpg

N. Gentle (fusca x maxima) pitcher about  this is one of a group of N. gentle plants stuffed into one pot that I got at a garden center last fall.
gentle2.jpg

to be continued...

and now it's time to hack our way into the highland chamber which grew a lot over the winter. The big black vines making a "V" going to the lower right corner is the N. hamata vine.
highland404.jpg

The N. inermis vine has grown a good deal and has produced a couple intermediate/uppers as well as formed two basal shoots:
the N. inermis vine/growing conditions:
inermis9.jpg

N. inermis pitcher shots (9 cm high):
inermis10.jpg

inermis11.jpg

inermis12.jpg

N. aristolochioides pitcehr and N. macrophylla pitcher having a chat:
aristomacro1.jpg

A colorful new pitcher from the N. fusca x veitchii (striped) hybrid seedling:
fuscaxveitchii3.jpg

N. macfarlanei. This one didn't care for living in a pot in the conventional way and showed it by growing very slow and rotting at the tip early last winter. So I repotted it in a net pot and hung it in the air like the N. inermis and he's really doing so  much better making this 5 cm pitcher almost immediately.
macfarlanei1.jpg

macfarlanei2.jpg

N. singalana this fast growing plant seems to keep it's pitcehrs about 12 cm but grows to a vine quickly and produces copious numbers of basal shoots.
singalana3.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the pics!
smile.gif

Swords, is the amp. (tayeve) pretty small? I have wanted one of these for a little while now along with N. insignis (tayeve).

Nice plants, and the chambers look alot better than mine.
sad.gif
wink.gif

Joe

Hey Josh,
Could I see the rajah? From the pic, it looks HUGE.

There is a new pitcher begining to inflate on the backside of the N. rajah (it's still sealed and about 6 cm. I'll get a photo as soon as that inflates all the way and opens. The rajah plant is 60 cm (2 feet) in diameter at the moment.

Since my R/O unit was old some of my finikier plants quit pitchering but have begun inflating pitchers again now that I've replaced the filter cartridges. I'll be able to show off a nice intermediate/upper hamata and ramispina pretty soon too!
smile.gif

Josh, those are some great pics, and even greater plants!
I've been wondering what was causing my campanulata pitchers to die off prematurely. I've been feeding them regular 1/3" crickets. Huh. Live and learn. I will try smaller morsels more often instead of monthly big meals.
Thanks for the tip!

Josh,

I am trying to remember: are you the one that cools your plants with a tubed vent to the outside?
I am very jealous, BTW. those are excellent!

Joe

Great plants/pics, as always Josh!
biggrin.gif

Great... All I need is an upper pitcher of hamata latching on to my face! I already had to deal witha lower pitcher that nearly ripped my eyes out!
wow.gif

Back