What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black nepenthes............

what LOWLAND neps turn black, dark purple ect. under good light? ive seen pics and think they look awesome. i know Borneo Exotics has the purple clone of gracilis. ive been told albomarginata will turn black, is it a certain clone or will any clone do it? any others and where would i find them? is it hard to do in anything other than full sun?

Rattler

ah well the albomarginata that turns black I've been told is a seperate form, or the green form I believe. Several highland species turn black also, such as ramispina and muleunsis. (the one in EC's avatar). Some turn partially black, like aristochoides. (darn I can't spell these). I'm sure there are more black lowlanders but I don't know all of my neps yet
wink.gif

i dont have a basement and dont know how to reliably drop the temps at night given the horribly unstable climate of NE Montana so highlanders are out of the question right now.

Rattler

N. gracilis and N. albomarginata are the only lowland ones that come to mind. And yes it is only specific clones which can get deep purple/black when subjected to very bright light, ie lots of sun.

Tony

Hey Rattler,
Don't be so quick to dismis highland plants. There are several more adaptable species and hybrids that don't mind lowland conditions for short periods. For example, I grew my N. x 'Judith Finn' as a lowlander for almost a 8 monhts before I was able to get a good highland setup. You would just have to be careful which ones you selected.
You should have no trouble producing highland conditions in the winter!
wink.gif

true, winter wasnt my concern but for the months of late June-begining of September, indian summers not included, it can get 100 quite easily and it doesnt always cool of at night. like i said if i had a basement i would gladly give them a try do to a bit of saftey margin but for now i will concentrate on lowlands and hybrids such as 'Miranda' 'Rokko' and 'Ventrata'. highlanders will be saved for some point in the future. maybe i can convince my parents to make a grow room in theirs
tounge.gif

Rattler

is Nepenthes albomarginata var. Kuching the "black" variety? ive found one of these and the picture of the individual clone has a purpleish color. if it is i may have found both the black/purple forms of albomarginata and gracilis from the same person.

Rattler

Back