What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New pitchers

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
My bical is growing great without missing a step since it arrived and the same for my merrilliana, both are pitchering and sending new leaves while the pitchers are forming. The new leaves are showing signs of pitchers as well.

I wish I had a digital camera so I could take pictures.

On a down note: My truncata is still having troubles, it produces new leaves but the tips go brown before any pitcher even starts to develope. I have not seen a pitcher on the truncata yet. All three grow in the same chamber.
Is it too warm and humid? Constant 80deg.F. and 80%hum. no fluxuation day or night, except the recent incident, but it had problems waaaay before that anyway.
At least the other 2 are doing good.
smile.gif

Joe

sounds like good times, how big is your merrilliana? is it a really slow grower like I've read?

I believe some change in tempurature between day and night would help the truncata.
smile.gif

-droseradude

Maybe a fluctuation would help, but I can't figure out why that would make a difference, unless it would like warmer temps. How does your temp stay the same? Does the light not contribute to the heat at all?

Regards,

Joe

No the light doesn't contribute. Only thing I can think of is that maybe it wants a little cooler temp. A month or so ago I took it out of the terrarium and forgot about it for 2 days and it produced a new leaf in the 2 days. I didn't think much of it then, but maybe it does want the cooler temp.

Flip, no I haven't had any problems with the merrilliana. It grows every bit as fast as my bical. Actually they are matching leaf for leaf in growth right now. New pitchers are not yet developed but seem to be swelling at the same rate as well. Oh the merrilliana is 5-6"diam. It has like 8 leaves on the rossette.

Joe

Your merrilliana sounds great, I was asking 'cause I eventually would like to get one.

I have a truncata and its in my lowland chamber it grows fast compared to some other truncatas I know. My conditions are day Humidity 75-80 % and temp 85-90, night humidity is 75-80 and temp 73-80. I also feed it alot, more then any of my other neps it seems like I can stuff the little 4" picther to the brim and they won't rot. I feed it meal worms, small crickets and misc. small insects I find around the house.....hth:)

Back