What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken growing tip

Hi,

I just got a N. x 'Materiana "purpurea'' ' today, that arrived with the growing tip broken off. As Trent could probably tell you, these are not that common.
I emailed the vendor to let him know, but am a little concerned. Will it resume growth from elsewhere or is it doomed?

Thanks,

Joe

Yeah it will grow new growth points from the dormant buds in the croch between the "leaf" and stem:) I had a N.ventricosa a few years back and I "pinched out" the growing point and it grew 3 replacements!(I subsequently killed it with too cold temps:( )

The "croch" pondboy is reffering to is the node as you probably know Joe. Did it arrive like this or did it fall or you accidently break it?

As for coming back, it should do fine. I just got my $120 worth of Nepenthes oh hold and a few had broken growing points but bouncing right back with a dose of superthrive and heavy msit from the mist system.

It arrived like that. It has some leaves and almost formed pitcher, so I am hopeful.

Thanks,

Joe

Heck, if the tip is still in the box, try rooting it....You never know.

It is, actually. It's not even a leaf that has begun to unfurl. When most people root the top, it has three or so leaves on it. I guess it could not hurt...

Joe

Back