What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. lowii g. mulu

I've been playing with my camera a bit, and managed to get a tolerable photo of a new upper pitcher on one of my favorite plants: N. lowii from G. Mulu. The depth of field is limited, and the composition is poor, but the detail is not too bad overall. You can clearly see the markings inside the pitcher, which will later be obscured as prolonged exposure to strong light causes its interior to turn entirely dark red.

Personally, I think that the G. Mulu variety of this species is one of the best. Moreover, my experience with this species suggests that clones from G. Mulu produce upper pitchers which are much less prone to distortion than plants from G. Trus Madi. However, this is purely an anecdotal observation, made upon a very limited number of cultivated plants, so it of questionable validity. Perhaps someone who has been to both locations can comment? BTW, this picture is about twice actual size.

lowiiMulu.jpg

Hello

wow "tolerable" lol it is awesome.

thanks for sharing
-Jeremiah-

Super, Jeff! What camera do you use for photography of your Nepenthes if I may ask?

Thanks!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What camera do you use for photography of your Nepenthes if I may ask?

Currently, I am using a Canon Digital Rebel, together with
macro lenses. This camera seems to fit my needs rather well,
and I recommend it to others.

Dustin if your still looking for a good digital go with a Canon as you can tell Jeff's photography looks very nice and clear Canon power shot's are excellent as well. Great photo Jeff!
wink.gif

E/C:)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Great photo Jeff!
Thanks, EC. I don't want to turn this into an ad, but I must say
that the same company also makes an outstanding photo printer
(and, no, I don't work for them).
smile.gif

Hey E.C. I already got my new camera, I was just curious as to what Jeff used. I bought the Olympus C-750 Ultrazoom, it is a beautiful camera! Will have to get some macro lenses and filters later on.

OH WOW! What a great pic! Man, I am in the market for a new camera, and it's SO hard to choose....every time I think "Oh, that's the one," someone comes out with a killer shot from another camera....arg!

that was a real treat for me, as it's the first time i've ever seen an upper N. lowii pitcher in cultivation , outside a botanical garden of course.

Hi Jeff
Wow what a great picture,nice to see uppers being produced in captivity
smile.gif

Bye for now Julian

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]that was a real treat for me, as it's the first time i've ever seen an upper N. lowii pitcher in cultivation , outside a botanical garden of course.
Glad you like it! I am sure that you've had the opportunity to
see some of the nice specimens at ABG, haven't you?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Wow what a great picture,nice to see uppers being produced in captivity
Thank you, Julian. N. lowii is really very easy to grow to
maturity; the specimen pictured is a TC plant which I
purchased from a German grower some years ago.

oh yes, the ABG is world renouned for a reason! the plants are absolutely monsterous and the grow room for the lowlanders is so thick you can barely breath!!

Back