What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nurseries - newbie question

I was wondering if anyone knows of any nurseries that may sell or have a good collection of CPs (esp Neps) in the DE-PA-NJ-D.C. area? I know that some places exist in NY or MA, but I was just wondering if anyone knows of any in the tri-state area. I live in Newark, DE and have fallen in LOVE (or should I say "lust"?) with the Neps. I have a couple of plants myself but am really just a newbie compared to what I have read and seen on this board the past couple of weeks. Any help or info would be really appreciated. Thanks and keep up the great job of growing those Neps!!!!
Nick
smile.gif

A place called Mutschlers in Birdsboro, PA. has ~5 different Neps.

I don't know how far you will wander, but Tony Parobek lives in upstate NY. His nursery has some of the best plants you will see on the East coast!

Regards,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ May 05 2004,7:16)]I don't know how far you will wander, but Tony Parobek lives in upstate NY. His nursery has some of the best plants you will see on the East coast!

Regards,

Joe
ahem
wink.gif
more like THE best!
biggrin.gif

Do I get a brownie point?
tounge.gif
laugh.gif
cool.gif

jimscott,
Does the place in Birdsboro carry other CP's as well? If so what?
Looking at the map, I could stop at Mutschlers, and then go hiking at French creek state park. It would make a trip worth while.

If you live in the N.Y area, Tony Paroubek is the nep rep!

If you have problems finding his website, please e-mail me and i'll send it to you.

Gus

Tom Hayes is in VA, Church Falls I belive and is the owner of Dangerous Plants, website is available with PM request. Other than him, Tony is your man for Nepenthes.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ May 05 2004,3:23)]jimscott,
Does the place in Birdsboro carry other CP's as well? If so what?
Looking at the map, I could stop at Mutschlers, and then go hiking at French creek state park. It would make a trip worth while.
I bought my capensis and dixie lace there. They have also had VFT's. That was in the dead of winter. I haven't been there in weeks. I know that he can bring in something requested.

Hey guys, I went to Mutschler's today on my day off, only a 60 mile drive from Newark, DE. Even though it is a small green house, I was TRULY impressed. The plants were beautiful and interesting, and they run a greenhouse the way it should be! There were plants there that I had never seen! But, now getting onto the CPs. Yes, they had VFTs, Sarracenia (Dixie Lace) Sundews (looked like D. capensis) and the Neps. They were awesome! He has several plants, the majority appeared to be N. alata with beatutiful red pitchers, there also appeared to be a N. x coccinea (or what that's how it looked to me), as well as several smaller Neps near the floor: some with pitchers, some without. Most of the alata's were labeled. I took home, what I believe to be, a N. fusca: it's about 31 inches tall, two loverly immature pitchers forming and a 5 inch upper pitcher (complete with a dead centipede and slug inside being digested). That's the thing: the plants are huge in terms of vining and number of pitchers. These are obviously mature plants, and you can't beat the cost: $35 to $39.00 (!!!). Anyway, just thought I'd share. I will definitely be going back later this summer! Nick
laugh.gif

Hi Wickmo:

That's good you found something interesting. Just remember that the plants you found lately are very common to some extent. I would advise you to contact nurseries which specialize in Neps and other carnivorous plants in the future, if you are really serious about this hobby

Gus

Back