What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. sibuyanensis

Hi,

after three years of growth my N. sibuyanensis has finally produced the first pitcher I really like
smile.gif
The pitcher is about 5 cm in height and the diameter of the plant is around 15 cm.

N_sibuyanensis_030504_A.jpg

N_sibuyanensis_030504_B.jpg

Cheers Joachim

I think it looks very nice. N. sibuyanensis is one of my favorite Nepenthes. Just curious, roughly how long are the tendrils on yours at the moment? And do you have a BE clone, or a plant from another source?

Thank you,
Pat

Great looking pitcher Joachim
smile.gif
And with a nice backdrop giving an almost wild environment feel..

Have you changed you conditions for this species since you have been growing it? More or less light?
Mine is still a slow grower, with the first couple of pitchers produced this year just lasting a short time before going black
sad.gif
I am hoping as summer progress's they will last a bit longer and get larger (fingers crossed!!).

cheers

bill

Joachim,

You have the patience of an Ent ( J.R.R. Tolkien reference-Treant to all you D&D players out there) !
Nice work.

Regards,

Joe

Hi,

many thanks for your kind comments.

Patrick, the tendrils are less than 10 cm long. I got this plant from Joachim Nerz, so chances are high that Andreas sells similar clones (they often travel together).

Bill, the plant is still sitting in a less bright spot of my terrarium although Rob and others mentioned that very high light levels should be better. This plant grows very small, I think it is only the second pitcher this year...

Joe, what is an ENT - could I feed it to my plants? (Sorry only have read 'Hobbit' many years ago...)

Cheers Joachim

Ents are giant "tree" like creatures, that take 8 hours to say "hello, how are things?" and reply, "Doing fine"
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

laugh.gif

"the patience of an Ent" is a quote from treebeard

BTW, nice sib!
smile.gif

Thats a beutiful pitcher! Nice red coloration.:)

I just noticed the pitcher is sitting on some LFS. Do you think that helped with pticher growth?

Nice plant, and an excellent photo!

Lovely photos Joachim, did you use flash? I think not with the backlighting. Very nice composition too with the moss etc.

BTW, do you get the impression that N. sibuyanensis doesn't produce pitchers unless the tendril comes up against something hard? In your case it appears that the tendril came up against the pot. It's something I've noticed in the nursery but I'm not sure if it's a rule.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ May 10 2004,5:18)]I just noticed the pitcher is sitting on some LFS. Do you think that helped with pticher growth?
Hi spectabilis,

yes, I also believe the pitchers grow better when the inflating bud presses itself into some humid soil. The moss in the pot isn't LFS though.

Jeff, many thanks for your comment!

Cheers Joachim

"If" the pitcher needs to rest against something to form(which would be a great evolutionary tactic to producing huge pitchers w/o uprooting the plant), would that mean it is unlikey to have uppers? I don't know what this species has for types of pitchers, just speculating.

Regards,

Joe

Incidentally, I think Joachim has a great tank set-up, including a bit of natural sunlight as it does. His plants seem to have great coloration.

Regards,

Joe

Joe, about upper pitchers, I belive it does produce them...thought I remembered seeing a wild photo of an upper N. sibuyanensis pitcher....can anyone back me up or disprove me?

That's an interesting thought Joe. I spent several weeks in the habitat for N. sibuyanensis and never saw an upper pitcher that I recall. Didn't think much about it at the time but now I'm wondering...

Hi,

Rob, sorry didn't see your first post. The picture was taken with natural sunlight from the back. My plants get full sun for about 8 hours every day. This is the ugly backside of the pitcher:

N_sbuyanensis_120504.jpg

The tendris is compressed and it is attached from the side into the pitcher. Initially I didn't expect this pitcher to inflate after seeing this deformation but it developed quite well.

As far as I remember a discussion with Christian, he also mentioned that pitchers only form when the tendril is pressed into the soil. So he directs the developing tendrils into the pots of the plants by hand.

Cheers Joachim

Back