What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Woohoo

my lowii seeds germinating
biggrin.gif

how long does it usually take for nep seed to germinate?
it took myn a week  
wow.gif

laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

i c little green thing poking out the LFS
ill take a pic
can u guys confirm it?
im not sure if a nep, or a hitch hiker
thanks in advanced
Ill get the pic in soon
Hellz

here they are
248DSCN2024-med.JPG

248DSCN2025-med.JPG

are these nep seedlings?
they might be utric seedlings, because i put the utric seeds i have next to the nep seedling, but the other ones havnt started to germinate yet.
thanks in advance,
Hellz

its way to early to tell, wait till it grows more

ok, but what about the time it took to germinate?
i dont think nep seeds can germinate in just a week...

Those look like the nep seeds I received several weeks ago, N. mirabilis. I'm still waiting for them to germinate. They are kept on a south facing sill, saturated and covered. Nep seeds, from my limited experience (1) look like small tan-brown twigs. They don't even look like seeds. Sarracenia seeds (all two types that I have had) look like small tan-brown grains of sand. My S. alata took several weeks to germinate.

Hi all:

One easy way to tell is to pick up the green portion of it and pull it gently out of the LFS, if the other half looks like those thin, brown tiny sticks characteristic of Nep seeds, yes you are right. They are nep seeds germinating. You can them place it back in LFS very gently. I've done that to my germinating seeds to rearrange their relative position in the pot and they are doing fine. Just be gentle with them.

Gus

YAY!!! it is the nep seed growing
biggrin.gif

i looked at it, and saw the Y kinda of growth shape shown in neps.
im not sure if it is Lowii or mirabilis, because i sowed them next to each other and maybe some got into the others growing space.
i soed them last sunday, i think thats the fastest time nep seeds have germinated
tounge.gif

jkin, some1 must have done it faster, im just a noob
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Hellz

Bloody beginer luck!
tounge.gif

Seriously, you're a better man than I! I have failed in my passed two attemts to germinate neps. 'Cource I have two more attempts currently with bicals (thanks Pyro!) and also lowii (thanks Wildbill!).
One week is the fastest I've heard of. You are one lucky so and so.
smile.gif

NICE!!!
they grew a little more, and i can confirm they are nep seedlings from the way they are growing, the Y shape
biggrin.gif

anyway, do the seedlings make tiny pitchers?
i was looking at the newest ICPS Journal, and i saw tiny neps seedlings with pitchers, but i couldnt believe it
o ya, and Schloaty, ur prob right, beginers luck was on my side
biggrin.gif

i kept them at a constant 80 degrees under that light u see in the picture
i prob gonna give them away tho, i dont have a high land tank
sad.gif

o well, well c  
tounge.gif

They will make little tiny pitchers at the ends of the true leaves so you should know pretty soon if they are Nepenthes or not. I hope they are but 1week sounds wwwwaaaayyy too fast..

Hey if you`r going to give them away I`ve been wanting N.lowii for a while I could send you some seeds of D.intermedia 'cuba',and a good size (currently 1 1\2 in. diameter) vft 'clumping cultivar'
smile.gif
When they are big enough for you to ship me one or two.

Thanks and let me know,
Noah.

A week?! Possible I guess if they were damp when they were sent to you and had started to develop in the mail. The first 2 leaves will have no pitchers but the 3rd leaf should have one that is about the same size as the leaf itself. Good luck!
smile.gif

Wow thats pretty cool! The size of the leaf:O

want i should post a pic?
o ya, and should i leave them in there until they get to a good size, or should i put them in a high land enviroment (Temp drop at night)
i dont know how im gonna get the temp to drop, could i put them in my fridge at night?
lol
Hellz

At this age I think it would be fine to keep them warm,putting your plants in the fridge would either stunt or kill them. These plants want cool (60-68 degrees would be about right) not cold temps!

Back