What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your method of germinating

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
How long does it take?

Lay them on pure peat or living peat moss. Keep it moist and wait, after 2-6 weeks you will see germination (for fresh seeds, thats always a problem). I you got them germinated read the old threads for questions regarding fertilizers and so on.

Jan

Thank you.

lol, i put them on LFS in a covered seed tray, and kept them under compact flourescent for 9 days, and they germinated
biggrin.gif

i had some Lowii i sowed right next to them, and they germinated in only a week!!!
it was prob beginers luck (Like Schloaty said
wink.gif
)

That happens too. It depends a lot on the season too. I find winter sown seed takes its time, but spring just seems to get them going.

The two record holders in my collection are Drosera rotundifolia "Evergrow": 12 hrs. from seed to seedlings, and Drosera arcturi: close to 2 years.

The thing is not to be discouraged, and to start with a very clean medium in case the wait is a long one, to prevent the germination of algae and moss spores over that wait.

Another rule of thumb is Tamlin's Law of Least Desirability: a species will germinate precisely in inverse to its desirability.

My record holder is U. nelumbifolia, germination after 30 minutes! The seed was dried, after its rehydration it germinated at once. Crazy species...
laugh.gif

I used milled sphagnum in shallow trays, and place them in plastic bags (but didn't seal them) and under fluorescents.  It works fine, but be very careful to maintain the dampness after the seedlings sprout.  I lost a whole tray of nice rafflesiana seedlings when i let it get a bit dry.

It can be a bit hard to distinguish them from the moss, which isn't helped by the fact that it doesn't look like anything could come out of those weird nepenthes seeds.

Back