What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am a first time CP grower and I ordered two plant that I heard were easier to grow than others. I origanaly ordered Nepenthes sanguinea and Nepenthes Ventricosa. However, The store was out of N. Ventricosa and offered to ship me what I believe is N. Ovata but I could not understand what the store owner said. Anyway I accepted his offer and the plants ship next monday 5/17/04. They come potted an I NEED advice on how to Grow them. Thanks!

moved to where the Nepenthes freaks hang out

lots of humidity and lots of light is GENERALLY the important factors with Neps, but depending on species, temperature becomes a factor too. i dont have either of those species so someone else will have to give specifics on them. i have a half dozen hybrids which are generally easier to grow and a couple of lowland species which like lots of warmth, humidity and light. good luck, if you have any success with them they tend to become addicting.

Rattler

Ieeee...Sub a N. ovata for a ventricosa??? I never had much luck with the former...

Regards,

Joe

Oh, terrak,

What are your growing conditions? That would help us figure out what would be good for you, but rattler made a good point about hybrids.

Regards,

Joe

Are we Nep freaks?
rock.gif
tounge.gif

Joe

Sorry man, I don't know anything about those 2. First thing is we need to know what can you provide. Since several people here could tell you all day long what you COULD do but cost will be a large factor as well.

warm temps ?
high humidity?
cool nights or warm nights?
do you have a greenhouse?
will you have a chamber?
will it be a windowsill thing?
Very importantly get comfortable with buying RO water or some kind of mineral-less water OR a home unit
wink.gif

Joe

This link should help you out.  Cultivation info on lots of different nep species!

nep U.

Edit: Just noticed this site doesn't give cultivation info on either species you mentioned. Sorry! But if you're going to get into neps, you should bookmark this page anyhow.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Very importantly get comfortable with buying RO water or some kind of mineral-less water OR a home unit
I'm the local dealer... For water *darty eyes*. So Alex, welcome to the forums, and if I ever hear about you using water from your house... Well, it's needless to say that I'll let the hobo out of your closet.
laugh.gif

sorry, I posted this in a bad spot at first. I live in aptos california. I have Hot summer days, moderate nights, Foggy mornings and nights all year long,with a moderatly cold rainy winter.

I managed to find out the plant that owner said he would ship me. From the description he gave me, there was a direct quote on his web page and I now believe the plant he shiped me is Nepenthes Sibuyanensis. Check out his web page

Odd. It is sunday night and I got home from working with my brother. He took me to his work at Genetech in San Francisco. He is a utility Plant operator. But any way, I get home and my plants were sitting on the door step. I didn't pay for any express shipping just regular old UPS. My plants are not even supposed to ship out until tomorrow morning. Oh well better for me. I did indeed get Nepenthes sibuyaninsis and Sanguinea and I still NEED HELP! I also discovered I can make my bathroom realativly humid and it gets full sun during mid-day and into the evening.

Back