What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just want to share my amazement and excitement about two relatively unsung Nepenthes, albomarginata purple form, and ramispina

Both of these have very cool habits and pitchers that are unique and striking.  They both happen to be very fast growers, as well.  I looked over at my highland terrarium today, and woah, there's another pitcher on the ramispina.  Crazy

Anyway, enough talk.

20040313-CP-N.albomarginata%20purple-black%20form.jpg

Okay, i gotta say something else.
smile.gif
 Another cool thing about albomarginata is that it is much tougher in dealing with low humidity than most lowlanders.  I took my rafflesiana, red ampullaria, campanulata and the albo out of my lowland terrarium and to the presentation i gave in January, and in spite of my caution, the raff, campanulata, and amp all looked like they'd been nuked
20040207-CP-N.rafflesiana%20red%20giant-two%20weeks%20after%20nuke.jpg

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Two weeks after the presentation</span>

after sitting out on display for a few hours for two days.  The albomarginata never skipped a beat.  It's very hairy, which probably helps.

Now that it's too big for the terrarium, i'm trying to grow it on my windowsill for the summer.  I'll let everyone know how it goes...

The ramispina...
20040513-CP-N.ramispina.jpg

20040513-CP-N.ramispina2.jpg

...that's it in the back.  Sorry, i can't find the photo i thought i had.  I guess i better get a better one while it lasts, right?

See that pitcher on the far right?  I swear it wasn't there two days ago!

Edit:  Okay, i'll get a better photo and bump this thread at that point, but i noticed that you can at least see the 'horns' (can someone please remind me of the proper botanical term?) that all the pitchers have if you look at the immature pitcher to the far left. Me parece un diablito.

Nice plants! Is something wrong with the leafs of the albomarginata? I believe the "horns" are called "spurs".

Thanks

What do you mean by something wrong?

The long, undulating, strap shape of them is characteristic.  It's one of the cool things about them.
smile.gif
 If you mean why do they look dull, instead of shiny, it's because they're covered with a fuzz that protects them from low humidity.

Hey D Mus,
How do you grow your albo? Mine's not doing anything. It's not growing, or dying. It's just sitting there. It pitchered two or three times after I got it, then....just....stopped.
I'm growing it as a lowlander with my bical, campanulata and gracilis, which are all growing just fine. I'm confused.

I grow my albo as an intermediate, and it just pitchers and pitchers and pitchers. It's the same purple form as D muscipulas. My temps range from low 60s at night to upper 70s/low 80s during the day. Perhaps they don't like the heat?

Capslock

Hi Schloaty

It could be the form you have, first of all.

But as for this one... like i said, i had it in my lowland terrarium with my raffs, bical, campanulata, gracilises, amps, etc.  I can't really say how cold it gets at night, but it's easily in the 80s in the day.  It may be that it experienced such remarkable growth because the winter temps in the tank were a bit lower at night than what yours gets, but i don't know.

I've gotta get me those sensors like i keep meaning to, and monitor everything with my comp so i can give better answers.  Maybe after quals...

may i ask where you got your purple albomarginata? i found the purple/maroon form of gracilis and it should arrive any day now but i would also like the purple form of albomarginata. thanks

Rattler

Nice Pics/Plants! I thought ramispina was a intermediate/highlander!

Yeah, it is.  It's in my highland terrarium.  The tendril making a cameo in those photos is from N. diatas 'meadow form', the oval leaf is N. burbidgea.  The other leaves are from N. aristolochioides.

Rattler, I got mine from California Carnivores, where it's sold as "spotted form". It's obviously the purlple form, though.

Capslock

thanks, its one of the top things on my list after i finish my new grow chamber.

Rattler

[b said:
Quote[/b] (D muscipula @ May 17 2004,9:42)]Thanks

What do you mean by something wrong?

The long, undulating, strap shape of them is characteristic.  It's one of the cool things about them.
smile.gif
 If you mean why do they look dull, instead of shiny, it's because they're covered with a fuzz that protects them from low humidity.
I mean the rust spotted leafs.
biggrin.gif

What, on the albomarginata?

There are a few spots on the really old leaves that are brown, and a bit of a bronze well-lit look to them, but i don't really see what you mean.

The albomarginata is lovely. I have a red form coming soon, but I think the black/purple is stunning now.

I understand the red form is intermediate, whereas the black/purple form is fully lowland. What temps are you growing it in?

mad.gif
 I dont like birds
Birds get on my nerves alot
confused.gif

lol
smile.gif

jk  
smilie4.gif

smile_r_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif

confused.gif

smile_o_32.gif

smile_l_32.gif
>;-D

LOL Jmenprkr  I think you posted in the wrong thread, but i appreciate your ... umm... sympathies?

Hi Rob-Rah.  I've had it in temps from as near as i can figure around 65 minimum (rarely) to up in the nineties.  I'll be able to give more complete info in a month or two, as i recently took it out of the terrarium where it no longer had room to spread its leaves, and put it on the windowsill with evening sun and much lower humidity.  It's been there a few weeks now, and while it's lost all the old pitchers (expected), the last three are still fine, and it bronzed up a bit and seems to be growing still, albeit a little more slowly.  The temperatures have been down into the upper fifties once or twice since that time, but it seems to have weathered it ok so far.

Time will tell.

Back