What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Today's nursery finds

I picked up this VERY sorry looking pair from a non-cp nursery today for a couple of bucks (AU$) each and though the pictures were worthy of sharing, even if it is just out of sympathy.

As you can see they are in a pretty sorry state having been prodded, poked, torn, dried, over heated, under heated, etc, etc....but will pull through just fine with a little TLC in the glasshouse.

In these shots they look even better than a few hours earlier as I had trimmed all the dead material off and given them a big soak to get the peat-based substrate re-hydrated (was boan dry and the water just ran of it).

N. ventricosa x rafflesiana
mypic51.JPG

Although the pitchers are in bad shape they appear to have quite a strong Raff appearance in terms of shape, though the plant and pitcher colouration looks very Ventricosa.

N. tobaica x ampullaria
mypic52.JPG

To give you a size perspective, the slate tiles are 20x30cm (8x12").

So what do you think has caused the yellowing on the Tob x Amp?  It does not look like the usual drying out or sunburn to me.  Could it be some type of fertiliser burn?

Aaron.

I've seen several bicals with similar looking old leaves.  I wouldn't be surprised if that's just the way a bical leaf goes out, and you're seeing it in the hybrid.

For example, this one:
http://necps.org/images....ata.jpg
Has a similar looking leaf, that's obviously on its way out due to age.

I'm a bit surprised that you can buy such big, properly labeled hybrids at random nurseries.  Most neps i've seen (especially that big) at supermarkets, garden centers, etc. are labeled as 'Tropical Carnivorous Plant Nepenthes spp' or 'N. xtobiaca' or some other such nonsense.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (AaronJ @ May 20 2004,7:31)]I picked up this VERY sorry looking pair from a non-cp nursery today for a couple of bucks (AU$) each and though the pictures were worthy of sharing, even if it is just out of sympathy.

As you can see they are in a pretty sorry state having been prodded, poked, torn, dried, over heated, under heated, etc, etc....but will pull through just fine with a little TLC in the glasshouse.

In these shots they look even better than a few hours earlier as I had trimmed all the dead material off and given them a big soak to get the peat-based substrate re-hydrated (was boan dry and the water just ran of it).

Although the pitchers are in bad shape they appear to have quite a strong Raff appearance in terms of shape, though the plant and pitcher colouration looks very Ventricosa.

N. tobaica x ampullaria

To give you a size perspective, the slate tiles are 20x30cm (8x12").

So what do you think has caused the yellowing on the Tob x Amp?  It does not look like the usual drying out or sunburn to me.  Could it be some type of fertiliser burn?

Aaron.
Well it looks like you did a pretty good job of washing it up then...at first glance I thought it was fresh from a nursery!
biggrin.gif

How much did you buy them for?
wink.gif

EDIT: There ya go jason, pics removed.
smile.gif

oops sorry about that, I don't know pictures still appear as pics on a quote...
biggrin.gif

(I thought the links would show...never mind)
wink.gif

Phew, that's a first, we learn something new every day don't we!?!
tounge.gif
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm a bit surprised that you can buy such big, properly labeled hybrids at random nurseries.  Most neps i've seen (especially that big) at supermarkets, garden centers, etc. are labeled as 'Tropical Carnivorous Plant Nepenthes spp' or 'N. xtobiaca' or some other such nonsense.

I can only speak for here in Australia.  A couple of the local commercial growers (we have about 4x major growers in Australia) offer a varied range of species and hybrid neps to both supermarkets and general nurseries.  You need to be a retail outlet and purchase a minimum number (100 plants in one example) to qualify.  

So far I am yet to see ANY Nep at these places that was not clearly labeled by the grower.  Admittedly I do almost all of my buying direct from the growers, but I saw these 2 plants, did not have them yet and figured I could bargain the price down a fair bit due to their condition.

Jason,

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well it looks like you did a pretty good job of washing it up then...at first glance I thought it was fresh from a nursery!

They got a good 30 minute soak to rehydrate the substrate, pruned off all the completely dead pitchers and leaves, and then washed down the leaves to remove all the dust and dirt. So they do look quite a bit better than at first.

As for price - AU$7 (about US$5) each down from AU$14 each. I'm happy with that!

Aaron

Just a quick update.  Both plants are coming along nicely.  The N. ventricosa x rafflesiana is growing well and producing 3-4 new pitchers.  

NventricosaXrafflesianaUpdate.jpg

The N. tobaica x ampullaria has coloured it's leaves back up (a few died and were removed) and has produce two nice new leaves with swelling pitchers.

NtobaicaXampullariaUpdate.jpg

Aaron.

Edit: Sorry I had the names all mixed up.  Will blame it on being home sick
smile_m_32.gif

hi aaron,

nice recovery.:) Are you growing the tobaica x ampullaria outside in an unheated greenhouse as I'm growing mine in a lowland tank and it is getting too big for it or should i say too tall.

Christian

Chrsitian,

All of my Neps are in the same heated glasshouse.  I don't keep neps anywhere else.

Generally my temps are intermediate, though with the cold weather and overcast days (i.e. no sun) right now I'm not acheiving much more than highland conditions.  However, my lowlands (truncata, raffs, amps, etc) are fine, and at worst have maybe only slowed a little in growth.

I agree the N. tob x amp certainly seems like it is going to be a fast grower if these first few weeks are any indication. At the current rate its throwing a new leaf every 2 weeks so imagine once the weather warms up!

Aaron.

hi aaron,

I have an unheated greenhouse as i don't like running power outside especially where i am. if there was a solar powered alternative i'd go for it. I used to keep all the highlands inside but i think the sun does a better job in regards to lighting. I'll only bring them inside during the hot months. I keep my lowlands in a tank but the problem is they are outgrowing the tanks and its difficult to find another alternative other than heating.

christian

Hi all:

I am growing thorelli X ampullaria under highland conditions right now and they are pitchering!. I think it is sometimes difficult to guess the right conditions for a hybrid nep based on its parental background.

for example: I also have a N. wrigleyana which  is a mixture of mirabilis X ampullaria X  rafflesiana = all lowlands and yet it pitchers under highland conditions!. What's the logic behind it
beats me!.

Gus

Yet another update:

N. tobaica x ampullaria is now heading up to the 1 meter (40") mark and has just opened it's first pitcher (about 11cm or 4"):
NTobXAmpPlant.jpg

NTobXAmpPitcher1.jpg

NTobXAmpPitcher2.jpg

The N. ventricosa x rafflesiana is also coming along nicely and is covered in pitchers (biggest abour 10cm or 4").  The plant is growing at about the rate of my other pure Vents (so faster than my pure Raffs):
NVentXRaffPlant.jpg

NVentXRaffPitcher2.jpg

NVentXRaffPitcher1.jpg

Aaron.

Aaron,

I got a tobaica x ampullaria from TP many years ago, with the same affliction as yours. At first I thought it was mite infection, but a miticide didn't help. I then had it tested by a plant pathologist, and it was identified as colletotrichum fungal infection.

It is a fast growing hybrid, and OK looking. It throws out heaps of basals due to the ampullaria in it. The leaves are quite big, but the pitchers remain small which is not surprising given its parentage. I have two scrambling plants of it that I'm just about to get rid of, as I need space for the species.

G'day Hamish,

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I got a tobaica x ampullaria from TP many years ago, with the same affliction as yours.

I'm assuming by this you are refering to the burnt look of the older/original leaves?  I had put that down to sun, heat, low humidity, as every new leaf since I've had it is fine.

Basal shoots are certainly numerous, but very small at this stage for me.

Aaron.

Yes, although if you look closely you'll notice that there's a lot of spotting, with red fringes. That's the colletotrichum - it gradually expands until the tissue is dead, so it looks like it's burnt. It doesn't seem to affect the new growth, but as the growth ages the infection moves into it.

Hi Aaron
What a find i dont think ive seen a Raff x Ventra cross before,it does look nice and you have brought them back from death well.

Bye for now julian

Looks like they are comeing along for you very well! That N.tobaica x ampularia I especially like.:)

Talk about one parent being dominant over another-I can't even see the ventricosa in the pitcher, lol.
Nice plant, Aaron. Well worth the price.

Cheers,

Joe

Back