What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, wha'doyaknow?

schloaty

Staff member
Been poking around my neps lately (that's different from when?), and I'm getting a bunch of basal shoots. My fusca (old news), my reinwardtiana (sp?), and my merrilliana are all producing basal shoots! The merrilliana really suprised me. BONUS!

Now the question is....Do I let them grow on the plant, or separate into MORE plants.... Hmmmm

cool.gif

I dont seperate mine into different pots... They look better crammed into the same pot
biggrin.gif
More pitchers, not so bare!

Hey Schloaty, that's interesting - my neps are doing the same thing (a first for me!).  I think it's because of summer, but the scattered lighting they're getting from the windows across the room must be enough to make them 'see' a longer day, because almost all are in terrariums with fixed photoperiod lighting.

My N. diatas 'meadow form', N. sanguinea, both amps, and gracilis are doing the basal-rosette boogie.  'course, gracilis is always doing that...

D mus,
I don't know if mine are due to light differences, since two of the neps I mentioned (the reindwartiana and merrilliana) are in a windowless basement room under a fixed photo period. The merri I just repotted into a HUGE pot (even though the darn thing is barely 5" across, the darn roots go down 12 " already!), but I haven't even moved the rein for months.

Spec, I think I may just do that.
smile.gif

You have entered a dimension of light and sound, of shadow and light... welcome to... the Twilight Zone!

That's right, the place where plants living in the dark of the basement eat insects, know the seasons, and .... practice karate!

I hear you on the merri. Mine is getting smaller again- and it's already in one of my biggest pots. Guess i'll have to put dibs on the tub...

Yes...mine also went nuts with the basal shoots.....near as I can tell the plant just did it because it wanted to....the only thing I kow is totasly sun related is picther formation......my plant needs at least 2-3 hours of bright light before it wll even consider putting one out....

I have a N veillardii that has two basal shoots they even have cute little picthers about 1 cm... totally awesome, I'm going to just leave them so I'll have a pot full nice beautifull ed pitchers....
laugh.gif

I'm in Singapore and we're hitting the 90s these few weeks.

Bonuses?
1. I've lost weight - imagine dripping with perspiration 'cos nights are in their 80s
2. Basal shoots for: gracilis, ampullaria, emerene and 2 alata (that are not pitchering!)

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Back