What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judith finn

Hello,
I've been growing CPs for about a year and 1/2 now, and have accumulated a vast array of plants (6
smile.gif
). One of my more recent additions was my first Nepenthes, Judith Finn.

I live in the Seattle area (Everett) so I grow plants in a terrarium (10 gallon) and a window sill. My question is, will Judith Finn do well long-term in a terrarium with daytime temperatures of about 80 degrees and night temps from 68-70 (in the summer)? I know it is a hybrid between two highland plants, but I have read some places that it can be grown as an intermediate.

Thanks for the help.

The plant seems to be doing very well right now. When I bought it it had no pitchers, but now is developing two with a third leaf on the way. I'll include a picture of the only open pitcher:

-Ben

finn.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sharp229 @ May 21 2004,10:16)]My question is, will Judith Finn do well long-term in a terrarium with daytime temperatures of about 80 degrees and night temps from 68-70 (in the summer)? ... but I have read some places that it can be grown as an intermediate.

The plant seems to be doing very well right now.
Hi Ben,

I have grown my N. x Judith Finn in a terrarium for almost four years years. I grow it with similar temperature fluctuations and it is still doing well.

As long as your plant is doing well, you should be OK.

Thanks, that's good to hear. Do you have any pics? I'd be interested to see what your plant looks like after four years!

-Ben

judith.jpg.w300h400.jpg

Not the best picture, but still one of my favorite neps.

Wow, that looks huge! How big are the pitchers?

The biggest pitcher is about 9 inches. The peristome can turn a really dark red, almost black in some cases.

Actually N.x 'judith finn' is a cross between the highland N.spathulata and the lowland(some times highland) N.veitchii.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! and happy growing:),
Noah.

Wow, I didn't know that. It seems most of the websites I read said it was a highland N. veitchii, although some claimed N. x Judith Finn could be grown as an intermediate.

Is there any way to tell whether the parent was a highland or lowland?

Back