What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first nep flowering event!

I've finally got one of my Neps in flower! It's my very large N. fusca Tambunan Road form. I just let it vine and go crazy in the terrarium. It must be 5 feet long now with a huge basal rosette and it's now making two really nice looking intermediate/uppers (open soon). The flower must have emerged last night or two because I did a watering only a few nights ago and didn't notice it! No flowers are open but the peduncle must have almost 100 and upon closer insepection I see a secondary peduncle emerging! Are the secondary flowers sterile? It is slightly smaller. The growing tip is curled around the ceiling of the terrarium and the light (which was replaced a week or so ago) is directly over the vine. Whee! I will be donating any pollen (if it's a boy) or accepting pollen (if a girl) for a split of any seeds produced 50/50. I'll post an update when this aspect become more clear.

Unfortunatley I can't show any pics to y'all right now cos my web server (of 1.5 years) has ran off with my cash and my sites are dangling in limbo and dead (their sites no longer load either). I should have Jurassic gardens back online in a week or so when I get all my DNS info transffered to the new host server....  Then it will be photo time!
smile.gif

Congrats, dude. So neps not hermaphrodite? (ie. don't produce both reproductive organs). Tough, so you won't be able to get seed?
That's why nep seeds are so rare...gotta have two flowering at the same time...the odds of that are virtually neil!
wink.gif

Ps. do neps normally have to get this big before they flower? Suppose so, if they have to reach maturity? How many years does it take for a nep to reach maturity, and what are the symptoms? (Besides flowering) I wish mine would flower...
(I'll be so excited when it does...hehehe *rubbing my hands in glee* nep seed!
biggrin.gif

Hi Jason

Yep, you bet I'm excited!
biggrin.gif
This is the first one which has ever flowered for me but it is possible to have many in flower at the same time. At the orchid greenhouse nearby when their Neps start flowering it seems like they all spring into bloom (like a chain reaction) but the N. fusca and N hamata are my biggest highland plants. It's be nice if the hamata flowered and I could cross the two!

Well I've just subscribed to hostultra.com unlimited bandwith webservers in singapore so hopefully jurassic gardens will be online by monday (or wednesday when the DNS gets crawled out)!
biggrin.gif

Congrats Josh! Can't wait to see the pics.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well I've just subscribed to hostultra.com unlimited bandwith webservers in singapore so hopefully jurassic gardens will be online by monday (or wednesday when the DNS gets crawled out)!
You mean what?

Maybe the reason they all spring into bloom is because they affecting each other's moods...or want to have babies
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

or get married...two flowering neps side by side must look quite a sight (and soooo cute together too...)
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Some have really big flower stalks. The Nepenthes in the rafters at the orchid shop are such a jungle you can't quite tell what's blooming from where. But some stalks I've"measured" (with my arms open) have been about 2-3 feet long! These two stalks aren't that long (yet). Maybe they're shorter at the first few flowerings? They also haven't grown out fully yet, they basically look like tiny ears of corn on fleshy leafless stems.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ May 24 2004,10:27)]Some have really big flower stalks. The Nepenthes in the rafters at the orchid shop are such a jungle you can't quite tell what's blooming from where. But some stalks I've"measured" (with my arms open) have been about 2-3 feet long! These two stalks aren't that long (yet). Maybe they're shorter at the first few flowerings? They also haven't grown out fully yet, they basically look like tiny ears of corn on fleshy leafless stems.
Yes, I agree... My first Nep flower is on the way, and the first flwoers are ready to open at less than a foot long. I got maybe 24 flowers on it.

Hey, ventricosa x fusca would look cool...
wink.gif

Back