What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Square ceder baskets?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there is any benifit to using those square ceder baskets? the ones that some people grow orchids in. I saw them on a site and like the way they look. I wouldn't mind repotting all my plants into them if there is any benifit. If there isn't I may go ahead and do it anyways as I like the look of it.

for those that don't know what I'm talking about its these... (I took the pic off of dangerous plants)

6CedarBasket.jpg

Cedar is very resistant to rotting. I would think they would work nicely but require watering more frequently.

We find they dry out too quickly. In Nepenthes humidity they will eventually start to rot. We even quit using them for our Vandas and Ascocendas (orchids). They're great for Cattleya types, however.

Trent

I use them for a few neps. I find the larger ones better than the smaller ones, largely because of the drying out issue. The neps seem to like it, though. If you use them, mound the lfs mixture above the surfact of the basket considerably, just to get a deeper, larger ball of substrate. This will make it stay moist longer between waterings.

Capslock

i use them they are great. They are very nice. I use it on my n.alata. I put the 4 inch pot in the basket with a saucer inside. I could show a picture but its not currently pitchering.

I used to have most of my neps in ceder baskets because I liked the look, but got annoyed at having to water them every day (they dry up fast in the Florida heat). Plus, you lose a lot of wate from it dripping through the bottom as well, so I repotted all of them in plastic pots. It doesn't look as pretty, but is a lot esier to manage, and you don't have to worry about whether the pot is deep enough.

JA

Back