What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 question..

What do I do with a dead pitcher. Should I let it be and shrivel on its on. Or should I cut the pitcher from its leaf.
Thanks in advance.

VTP,

Personally I leave pitchers attached to the leaf until they have died right back to the leaf tip (i.e. pitcher & tendril have died). By dead I mean brown and dry.

I figure at any stage prior to that the plant may still be able to draw nutrients from the pitcher.

In fact with one of my more recent Nep orders a few of the plants suffered from shock and the oldest pitchers died half way down the pitcher (i.e. lid and top half of the pitcher died but lower half and tendril are fine). However, theses pitchers are still functioning by maintaining the fluid level within and trapping ants, just as well at the healthy pitchers. They may not look the best but they are still a valuable source of nutrients for the plant.

The only case I can think of that I WOULD remove a pitcher prior to it completely dying would be if it looked diseased. Thankfully though I've not had that experience thus far.

Aaron.

I do the same thing as ArronJ, It doesn't look that nice but its also not going to hurt anything (unless theres some sort of disease)

I 3rd that. Leave it be until its crispy all the way down.

Joe

Here is an example of 2x pitchers that 1/2 died off on my N. fusca x reinwardtiana.  They died back to this stage quite rapidly just after I got the plant and have stayed that way for almost 2 months now.  As you can see the parts that are still alive look as healthy as the newly formed pitchers.

Fusca_x_Reinwardtiana.jpg

Aaron.

i do the same. my n x rokko has pitcers almost identical.

disease:O i got a coccinia with dead pitchers and i cut them off cause of the white snowflakish looking stuff on it, from the looks of it, its been doing better but if it wasnt for that i wouldnt have cut them off. whats this i hear about diseases?
confused.gif
??

Back