What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low temp in lowland grow chamber

i have a porcelyn 100 watt reptile heater for my lowland grow chamber with the day temp in the upper 80's in the day lower 80s night, when the heat lamp is off the temp is in the upper 70s day lower 70s night humidity constantly in the 90s(%) what effects would the lower temp have on my plants. i have a nep rafflesiana, miranda,gricilis,and bicalcarta. so far under my care the first picther on my rafflesiana opened today
smilie4.gif
the reason i ask is cause when im close to my chamber my head slightly hurts and my sister slept in my room and woke up with a headach this mourning laying almost right next to the heater, does anyone else have one of these porcelyn heat bulbs i got it at petco for $45, is it just me??

Hello, I'm not familiar with that sort of heating element-is it a mat or a screw in bulb type? What you should do is get hold of an appliance timer (about $4-7 depending where you get it). You can find these by the lamp and electrical cords dept at wal mart and home depot or similar places.

You can plug the heater into the timer and set the timer to run the heater only while the lights are on. The plants appreciate a drop in temp low to mid 70's is fine but cooler than 70 is never good for true lowlanders) at night but do require warm days, especially N. rafflesiana, mirabilis and bicalcarata all like it hot-especially during the day! When it's over  90*F + in my terrarium during summer days these plants are very happy! Be forewarned these will outgrow your terrarium quickly unless you have showerstall sized enclosures like mine- and then they still get too big!
smile.gif

If you will be plugging in more than one timed appliance to run at the same time (such as fluorescent lighting) they do have a "power strip" type timer which can handle about 5 plugs the only problem is everything will be synched to the same on/off schedule but for your needs that style may be perfect.
Good luck!

Some people say lower temps at night do well for bicalcarata, but by lower I mean there is a temp drop at night time. the temp should still be pretty warm during the night.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ May 28 2004,11:50)]Hello, I'm not familiar with that sort of heating element-is it a mat or a screw in bulb type?
im sorry its not porcelyn its a "repticare ceramic heat emitter" i dont know what i was thinking
confused.gif
yeah its a screw in bulb type thingy. i couldnt find anything else besides those heating mats i didnt want the house to catch on fire after misting so i grabbed this insted and it looked like it would work better. is there any type of heat emitters that are water proof?

It depends. IF you have water actually in the bottom of the grow chamber, you can put an aquarium heater in there... Otherwise, probably not.
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lithopsman @ May 29 2004,12:10)]It depends. IF you have water actually in the bottom of the grow chamber, you can put an aquarium heater in there... Otherwise, probably not.  
confused.gif
yup its in a 41qt/39l rubbermaid container with 2 foggers , are the aquarium heatersyou talking about the one with the long glass tube around it?

Yes, they are. The only problem is that if the foggers are in there, too, it might not work. The foggers don't function very well if the water temperature is too high. The good news is that the heater should evaporate enough for decent humidity...
smilie4.gif

Back