What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lfs and n. northiana

I have a small N. northiana and its potted in full LFS. I was fliping thorugh the savage garden the other day and read the small paragraph on the N. northiana and it says potting it in pure LFS can stunt its growth. Has this been your guys experience? If LFS isn't a good medium what is better?

So basically what substrate are you using on your N. northiana?

I recall Tony once saying that that comment in Savage Garden should be deleted and thrown into the great dustbin of carnivorous plants
smile_m_32.gif

As far as I know LFS does no harm to N. northiana whatsoever.

my northiana is growing very nicely in all LFS, when i got it from Tony it was in all LFS also.

Mine is planted in LFS and small orchid bark (for rapid drainage) and I've never had a problem until my northiana a outgrew my hot lowland chamber and I moved it to the lowland/intermediate chamber last fall. Now it doesn't pitcher, it still grows fine but it needs the hot temps to be totally happy. But it has nothing to do with the soil mix which is all live sphagnum now.

awesome... not that I was worried or anything
smile_m_32.gif
just didn't make sense...

So has N. northiana been a fast grower for you guys? Mines just a baby. Its only 3" across.

No, don't be expecting to have a big N. northiana anytime real soon if you've got a seeding or standard sized sale plant.
Even in very hot and humid conditions it took almost 2 years before I had to repot it and move it and it's still only about 18" diameter.

Swords, Thanks for the information. Very helpfull. I don't exect it to grow too fast. I was seriously hoping it stays small and uniform the way iti is. Its sooo cute its my smallest cutst plant currantly.

Back