What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too much light/heat? (pic)

I am a cp newbie and got my first Nepenthes several weeks ago (Nepenthes ventricosa).
Picture_004.sized.jpg

I've put it on a windowsill that gets morning to early afternoon sun. I'm in sunny San Jose, California, and am wondering if it's getting too much sun or heat. Firstly, one of the pitchers got what I can only describe as a burn mark (see bottom of pitcher in photo). Also, the pitchers use to be nice and 'smooth.' Now they veins on a couple of the larger pitchers are starting to come up (like vericose veins). I'm a little concerned that this is an indication that it's too dry.

It may have happened while I was away last week and it didn't get enough water...

Any advice or inputs?

thanks,
Warren

Did you feed the pitcher? Cause that looks like a rot mark(whats the proper term for that again?) from feeding a new plant before it has a chance to recop and produce acids and enzymes

Well, I guess you could say it was fed. I didn't feed it intentionally, but somehow the ants found it (yes, they made their way into the house...) In fact, there were/are quite a few running around on it. Can I expect that this rot is going to spread on this pitcher?

I've looked around a little bit at photos of ventricosa. I've seen a few photos with pitchers also having elevated veins, so I guess I'm OK with respect to light. It sounds like they like alot of light that a windowsill offers. I may not have been watering it enough though.

Also, I read one place that overfeeding isn't good for them. I'm a little worried that it got too many ants now (always a worrier), especially with pond boy's response.

Hello Warren,

What is the general humidity in your area?  My guess is that the best thing to do is shield it from strong sunlight and raise the humidity if its too low.  Time will tell.

-Homer

Hi Homer,

Just checked on the internet for humidity in San Jose. It's 88% right now (!). It looks like it gets to 20-30% during the day and 60-80% in the evening. I should probably get a mister.

Warren

Is there any water in the pitchers? I recieved an Nepenthes maxima 2 days ago for my birthday, and some people suggested to fill it up(there was no liquid in the pitchers) 1/3 to 1/2 with rain or disstilled water. As a result, the pitchers look more colurful and healthy. If you do fill up the pitchers, avoid feeding it insects for a while. I spray my plant 2+ times a day. The most important time to mist is at night. My Nep seems to be happy. By the way, are you sure thats Nepenthes ventricosa? I have seen photos of Nepenthes ventricosa, and it looks nothing like that.

That is indeed a typical looking young N. ventricosa.

Does not look like burn to me. Burning from sun usually has a halo of partially damaged area surrounding the more intensly burned center. In any case just leave it along until the whole pitcher is brown then snip it off. If it doesn't get any bigger the pitcher will still function a bit.
Tony

The picture of N.ventricosa I saw had a blood red lip, and the whole plant was redish.

The whole pitcher, sorry, not the leaves!

Hi Starman,

I'm quite certain it is ventricosa. I got it from a reputable grower at the last Bay Area Carnivorous Plant Society meeting. There is a tag on it indicating that it originally came from Malesiana Tropicals. But you're right as far as the lip (was it peristome?) is red on the other ones. For some reason it is yellow on that one that I posted. As Tony pointed out, this is a young plant. The pitchers become 'waisted' as they mature. I have one that is starting to do that.

To answer your first question, about water in the pitchers, when I first got it, the largest pitcher was probably about 1/3-1/2 full of water. Now I'd say it's gone down to 1/6-1/5 full (+ alot of ants). I'm also concerned about that. I've refrained from adding water though because of other things I've read that suggest that isn't good to do (dilutes digestive capacity). Based on your experience, I might change my mind if I read more suggestions that adding water now would be a good thing to do.

I just saw another thread about lids on the pitchers dying. Mine are starting to do that too. I guess I really should put some priority on getting a mister.

Why is it that it's more important to mist at night? It seems to me that it would be more important to mist in the daytime when the humidity drops (at least in the ambient - on my windowsill). Well, the problem is that I work in the daytime, so I would have to mist in the morning and when I get home in the evening.

Warren

I wouldn`t fill it up anymore with water cause this will likely only cause it to rot more,any new pitchers it produces will be just fine and likely not rot like this(well if you feed them reasonably). Also don`t add any water to the new pitchers as this will only put you in the same predictament your in know!

I was only suggesting to fill it up with water if there is no water whatsoever in there. Why dont you take a look at the topic no loquid. Its more important to mist at night because:
1.There is less water in the air at night(Less humidity)
2.Because the plants would not experience humidity drops at night(there is less humidity at night)

The topic "No Loquid" was posted and finished on June second. The first and last post was done by me, the starman!

Back