What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top of my lids are dieing

I have three types of Neps. I have N. Ventricosa and two others just can not think of the names right now. The two that I have questions on is the N. Ventricosa and ?? *I will have the name shortly* the lids die after two weeks. I have my neps in a ten gallon tank with just a crack so air can circulate around.

During the 24 hour period in a day, there is water on the walls so I do not think it is humidity. Any ideas or are the lids suppose to only last two weeks or so?

Thanks,
Travis

Sounds like it might be a humidity issue... I think that is a sign of general stress as well. What kind of humidity and temps are your plants seeing?

Lids are the first to go when the humidity drops, especially when combined with higher temperatures. Pitchers produced in an environment of, as an example, about eighty percent relative humidity, will suffer though a drop down to about 65 percent. The pitcher will age faster, with the lid dying back first.. Of course, the plant will eventually produce new pitchers in the lower humidity environment (with some exceptions, like N. northiana, which will stop producing pitchers altogether below 70 to 75 percent RH.).

Trent

How are the plants growing?? Moisture stress during the day as the temperature rises and humidity drops is usually the main issue. If the plants have weak or nonhealthy roots the plant can't absorb water fast enough to compensate..

Well the humidity I am guessing is 85 percent or so. Since I see dew on the walls of the terrarium. There is a temperature difference in the morning. I have my furnace off so the temp drops to about 65 in the morning and warms up to around 82 during the day.

I think I may have found my problem...according to Tony, Trent, and Trashcan. It may be my temperature difference during the day. I believe I can move them to a different part of the house were the temp stays some what the same temp.

Travis,
Observe the lids closely. Before they turn brown, they will get limp and weak looking, and may actually start to collapse over the mouth of the pitcher. If you see this happening, mist the entire plant to raise humidity. Also check to see if the roots are too dry and water if needed.

Trent

I would say humidity because i have this same problem and they lid turns brown before the rest goes.

I notice when the humidity drops a bit my lids go limp.. but if the plant is healthy and the pitcher itself is healthy they will de-limpify (lol) to a degree.

Back