What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Generic nepenthes

I was amazed when I saw some Nepenthes at a local Fred Meyer today being sold as "tropical foliage" in the houseplant section. They were only $5 to buy 4! The plants had no living pitchers but the leaves looked a lot like my new ventricosa.

I suppose that if someone bought one just for the leaves, they would be in for a big surprise
smile.gif
(in the chance that they could provide a usable environment!)

In a slightly different section there were plants actually being sold as "pitcher plants" for a much higher price and with bogus directions saying they need a winter dormancy.

Do you guys see many Nepenthes at local stores?

From time to time...mostly hybrids.

I always hear people on here talk about seing them at Home Depot and Lowes and wherever but, I never see them at my local ones here in Omaha. I look all the time for some generic Nep but to no avail.

Joe

I hate the fact that I see those poor screwed up hybrides in stores like that..... I'd use a emoticon but they don't suit the situation......go figure...

Never seen any in a store before... though I'd definitely like to.

Yes, well here In Florida they have all different kinds of Cps in the department stores. I just bought some last weekend, at Lowes. I think I got a Alata Nep, and just a purple pitcher. But last year, I fought that they carried all different kinds of Fly traps, and they had a cobra lily and I think they even had some sarrs. But in my area they are pretty expensive, but they are super sized. Hope everyones plants are doing extremely well!
~Rachael

Sometimes people post some real tragic TC plants. I beleive Capslock has a "super mutant" he calls ........I forget but, its a TC monstrosity.

Joe

Nurseries in palm bay get them in from time to time, Rockledge gardens, and South brevard nursery get flytraps, and occasinal Nep Miranda, or Coccinea usually, whenever they do, I make sure they tell me first
smile.gif

Yes, I remember seeing Capslock's mutant plant when reading these forums. That was really weird.

I don't know if the plants I saw were likely to be mutated, but based on their leaves (no pitchers) they looked pretty healthy given the circumstances. And with 4 for $5, you can't beat the price! Unfortunately I am running out of room rapidly so I could not take advantage of it!

Back